Savory Rice and Roasted Veggies takes a rice side dish to a new level with a delicious blend of spices and eye-popping roasted vegetables. Two sides in one.
To spice up the rice, I used a blend of smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, thyme (or fennel) and curry powder. The variations are endless of course so play around with your favorite spices and herbs. In the summer I add a mix of fresh herbs from the garden.
This vegetarian dish is a perfect accompaniment to chicken, fish and meat or as the star of the meal. I’ve made it many times with grilled steak, roast chicken and salmon and serve it often at dinner parties. The vibrant colors add a beautiful flare to the plate. And yes, it’s also delicious. I’ve been asked for the recipe (adapted from Chin Deep by Melissa) more than once.
The roasted veggies are also completely variable. I always use carrot ribbons (shaved with a peeler) and cherry tomatoes because of the vibrant color combo. After that, take your pick or see some suggestions below.
Needless to say, this recipe is very adaptable with regards to the roasted veggies, spices, herbs and even the rice. Try serving this vegetable rice dish with grilled sausages, Maple Lime Salmon, Roast Turkey Breast with Pear Chutney or Mediterranean Marinated Grilled Chicken.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Spices: Vary the spices for the rice with curry powder, cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, etc.
- Veggies: Try different vegetables like asparagus, sweet onion, snap peas, green beans or shaved parsnip.
- Herbs: Use rosemary, dill, parsley, chives or tarragon instead of thyme.
- Rice or substitute: I like basmati or Jasmine but you can use any kind of long grain rice. You can also substitute the rice with cooked small pasta, spaghetti squash or quinoa.
- Use leftover rice, reheated with a tablespoon or two of water, covered. Add the spice mix.
- Or, buy prepared rice from your favorite take-out.
- Keep the rice warm in the rice cooker or on the stove. Reheat the veggies in the oven for 5 minutes or, alternatively microwave the assembled dish for a minute or two just before serving.
Other rice recipes you might like
- Curried rice with raisins
- Lemon dill homemade rice-a-roni
- Vegetable rice with spicy peanut sauce
- Chinese vegetable fried rice
- Instant pot veggie rice
Savoury Rice and Roasted Veggies
- 4 cups hot cooked rice any kind (Note 1) you will need 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups dry rice
- 2 large carrots, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cups roughly chopped orange and red bell pepper (use varied colors)
- 2 cups mushrooms (small whole mushroom, sliced or pieces)
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 cups asparagus or snap peas roughly chopped (Optional) If very thin, add half way through roasting.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for garnish
Spice mix for rice
- 2 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fennel (or dill or thyme if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon butter (or substitute with olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare large pan with parchment or foil, sprayed with oil.
- ROAST VEGETABLES: Put the vegetables In a large mixing bowl, Add oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread vegetables evenly on pan in one layer. Use two pans if needed. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- COOK RICE and MAKE SPICE MIX: While veggies are roasting, cook rice according to package directions. Or reheat leftover rice (Note 1). Add butter and spices and mix well to blend evenly. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add chili flakes if using. Keep warm.
- ASSEMBLE: When ready to serve, spoon spiced rice into a pretty serving bowl. Top with the roasted veggies. Garnish with chopped parsley or thyme sprigs. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- Rice: You can use left over rice for this recipe. Reheat the rice with 1-2 tbsp water, covered, in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
- Spices: Vary the spices for rice to your taste - curry powder, cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, etc. Also try chili flakes if you like spicy rice.
- Veggies: Try other delicious veggies like asparagus, sweet onion, red onion, green bell pepper snap peas, green beans or shaved parsnip.
- Herbs: Use rosemary, dill, parsley, chives or tarragon instead of thyme. Fresh or dried herbs - whatever you have. For a bit of a kick, add a few red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Rice substitutes: I like basmati rice or Jasmine rice, but you can use brown rice, wild rice or any kind of long grain white rice. You can also substitute the rice with cooked small pasta, spaghetti squash or quinoa.
- Make Ahead: Keep the rice warm in the rice cooker or on the stove. Reheat the veggies before serving in the oven for 5 minutes. Alternatively microwave the assembled dish for a minute or two just before serving.