Curried rice with raisins is a simple recipe made with broth, onions, curry powder and raisins. The aromas while cooking bring back lots of memories for me.Back in the day when I was growing up, my mother’s curried rice with raisins seemed pretty fancy. Probably not anymore, but it’s still delicious and I still love it to this day. We ate it with lamb, beef or chicken. We used beef broth when the rice was paired with meat and chicken broth when paired with chicken. Nowadays, of course, many would prefer to use vegetable broth which makes it a nice vegetarian side dish.
Also back in the day there weren’t too many types of rice on the grocery store shelves. Today, well they are endless – brown, jasmine, basmati, short grain, medium grain, long grain, etc. The recipe below uses long grain rice where the water to rice ratio is 2:1. If you choose another type of rice, be sure to check the package for directions. Basmati rice would be great with this recipe too.
Curried rice with raisins is super easy to make and is a nice change from plain rice, especially with the plump sweet raisins.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Add roasted chopped cashews just before serving
- For more intense flavors, substitute cilantro for the parsley and add a pinch of turmeric.
- Saute finely chopped red peppers with the onions.
- Use chicken, beef or vegetable broth.
- Add some heat with chili flakes.
- Instead of raisins, try dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots.
Make Ahead Curried Rice with Raisins
- Rice dish can be made ahead and rewarmed in the microwave with a few tablespoons of broth or water to keep it moist.
Curried Rice with Raisins Recipe
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 green onion (green and white parts), finely chopped
- 2 tsp butter (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cup chicken broth (or beef or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- SAUTE: Heat butter (or oil) on medium and saute the onions until soft, about 1-2 minutes. Add rice, curry and salt. Mix well and continue to cook another minute.
- COOK RICE: Add broth and raisins. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly and cook for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Note, if using a different kind of rice, check package directions for ratio of rice to water.
- SERVE: Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and mix in parsley if desired. Serve immediately.
Other rice recipes you might like:
Lemon Dill Rice-Orzo get the recipe
Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice get the recipe