This juicy, flavourful, super easy Mediterranean-Style Marinated Chicken is a go-to in our family. Serve it in sandwiches, in a salad or over couscous. Lots of possibilities with this recipe.
I’ve been using variations of this chicken forever. The flavors are very similar to those you’ll find in a Greek or Middle Eastern restaurant. Those of you who live in Toronto, think Me Va Me or Mezes. I prefer to grill the chicken – even in winter – but the broiler is a good alternative. This marinated chicken recipe is great hot or cold.
Serve with lemon wedges if you like along with: Red Quinoa Salad With Roasted Carrots and Beets, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Peppers, Eggplant and Apples, Quinoa and Glazed Butternut Squash Salad or Curried Rice with Raisins.
Tips for Marinated Grilled Chicken
- If you choose to marinate for a longer time to deepen flavors, stick to the lemon zest. If you’re marinating for 30 minutes, feel free tosubstitute a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
- For juicier chicken, boneless thighs, with or without the skin, are best, but breasts are delicious too with the marinade.
- Most importantly, don’t overcook the chicken! An instant thermometer should read 160-165F.
Options: Tailor To Your Taste
- Cut the raw chicken into 2 inch pieces and thread onto skewers;
- After cooking and resting the chicken (or even chilling), cut into smaller pieces to be used in a pita sandwich or in a salad;
- Use the marinade for bone-in chicken pieces and grill. Or bake at 400F for 35-45 minutes or until chicken registers 160F with an instant read thermometer.
Substitution and Shortcut
- I often use 1/4 cup light mayonnaise instead of the olive oil, and skip the marinating altogether. Then the whole dinner can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Mediterranean-Style Marinated Chicken Recipe
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken (breasts or thighs)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1/2 tbsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (or 1/2 tbsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 1/2 tbsp fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- MARINATE CHICKEN: Place all marinade ingredients in a plastic ziploc bag or other container. Mix well to combine. Add chicken pieces. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for several hours or overnight. If you're short on time, marinate it for 30 minutes on the counter.
- GRILL OR BROIL CHICKEN: Sprinkle chicken with salt. TO GRILL: Heat grill to medium high. Place chicken on grill. Grill 4-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness of the chicken. TO BROIL: Place chicken on pan lined with foil. Broil 6 inches from the broiler at the top of the oven for about 4-6 minutes per side until chicken is cooked through. An instant thermometer should read 160F. Cover loosely and let rest for 7-10 minutes before serving.
- SERVE: Serve with lemon couscous or rice if desired. I pour the juices, accumulated on the plate while chicken is resting, over the couscous for added flavor. Or cut up the chicken and serve in a pita as a sandwich with your favorite toppings.
Other grilled marinated chicken recipes you might like:
Thai-inspired marinated grilled chicken get the recipe
Chili Lime Chicken Wings get the recipe