Sweet oranges and tangy grapefruit tossed in vinaigrette over salad greens make this Citrus Salad a perfect summer side for a BBQ. So refreshing!
If you’re looking for a change from the usual green salad, this is a good one. Packed with vitamin C, this simple citrus salad is a very refreshing or first side course.
The citrus salad only takes 10-15 minutes to put together and pairs beautifully with any protein or vegetarian dish. Here’s a few options: grilled stuffed portobello mushrooms, maple balsamic rainbow trout, make ahead brunch strata and cedar plank chicken.
Tailor To Your Taste
Feel free to vary the types of citrus fruits, lettuce and garnish.
- You can use a mix of valencia, blood orange and/or navel oranges – even tangerines – and ruby red or pomelo grapefruit.
- I like to use a combination of dark and pale leaf lettuce – spinach and butter lettuce- but a spring mix is fine too.
- Garnish with any toasted nuts or seeds. I love the crunch of roasted sliced almonds or walnuts.
Make Ahead Citrus Salad
- I suggest you prepare the fruit, vinaigrette dressing and lettuce, then assemble just before serving as the lettuce will wilt if dressed too early.
- 3 navel oranges, sliced
- 1 red grapefruit, sliced and cut
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 head, butter, Boston or Bibb lettuce, ripped into bite size pieces
- 2 cup spinach leaves, stems removed, ripped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts (pumpkin, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans or walnuts)
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice from fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup neutral olive oil (I don't use extra virgin for this)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- PREPARE CITRUS FRUIT and VINAIGRETTE: Place sliced oranges and grapefruit in a bowl. In a separate bowl , whisk together lemon, Dijon, salt and pepper. Slowly add olive oil while whisking, until well blended. Pour over citrus fruit and gently toss together.
- ASSEMBLE: Mix lettuce and spinach together and divide among 4 plates (or lay out on a large shallow bowl). Place fruit over the lettuce and sprinkle with toasted nuts.
If you like citrus flavors, here are a few recipes to try: