This red quinoa salad is loaded with super healthy greens, roasted carrots and beets, topped with avocado and a delicious orange-balsamic-honey dressing. A visually beautiful side dish or meal.
I love this Red Quinoa Salad with Roasted Carrots and Beets. I serve it as a side dish or add some soup and bread to make it a full meal. This is not your simple green side salad. It’s substantial. It’s got lots of interesting flavours and textures – from earthy (beets) to creamy (avocado) to caramelized (roasted carrots) to zesty (orange) to slightly crunchy (quinoa). And the orange-balsamic-honey dressing is rich, bright and smooth. Truly a medley of deliciousness.
Roasting the beets and carrots takes a bit of extra time, but it’s worth the effort I think. There are some perfectly good shortcuts you can take though….
- Microwave the beets. Here’s a recipe. Or even easier, buy cooked beets.
- Use leftover quinoa or pick it up at a deli counter in your local grocery store.
- Use a store-bought dressing for drizzling such as Balsamic, Honey Mustard or Poppy Seed.
Substitutions and Additions
- Any leafy salad greens will do.
- Roast cubed sweet potato or butternut squash instead of the carrots.
- Add crumbled goat cheese, toasted nuts or seeds, raisins and/or dried cranberries.
- Serve as a side dish with Famous Montreal Ribs, Herb Roasted Rainbow Trout or Glazed Pork Chops.
- Serve the salad as a complete hearty vegetarian meal along with Vegetarian Pea Soup and some fresh bread.