These vibrant, sweet, caramelized grilled carrots with balsamic glaze add a little drama to the table. A great side dish for BBQs and potlucks.
I bought some beautiful young fresh carrots at the farmers market the other day to use for an upcoming potluck. I found a promising recipe for glazed grilled carrots on the New York Times Cooking blog that I used as a guide.
Apart from a couple of minor tweaks to the glaze, I decided to alter the cooking method. Instead of grilling the carrots for 20-25 minutes (and paying close attention to avoid burning), I parboiled them. This reduced the actual grilling time to 5-6 minutes.
The only trick to this recipe is to try to get the carrots approximately the same thickness to ensure even cooking. The carrots come out tender, flavorful and pretty. They pair with almost any protein.
Here’s a few options: Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Grilled Turkey Breast or Sous Vide Flank Steak. This grilled carrots recipe would also be perfect in our Red Quinoa Salad With Roasted Carrots. Just replace the roasted carrots with the grilled carrots.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use whatever herbs you like such as rosemary, marjoram, chives or thyme.
- Replace the maple syrup with honey or the lime with lemon.
Make Ahead Grilled Glazed Carrots
- The carrots can be made many hours ahead and left on the counter. They can be served at room temperature or warmed for 40-60 seconds in the microwave (or 10 minutes at 350F in the oven). Sprinkle on the garnish just before serving.
- Alternatively, parboil the carrots and make the glaze, leaving the final grilling to just before serving.
Other easy carrot recipes you might like
How to make grilled carrots with balsamic glaze
Grilled Carrots With Balsamic Glaze
- 2 pounds whole carrots, peeled (about 30 smaller, thin carrots or 10-15 medium)
- Garnish: chopped green onion, thyme or chives
- 3 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or pinch ground ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- HEAT GRILL to medium high, 425-450F. Spray grates with oil or oil grates with a paper towel dipped in oil.
- PARBOIL CARROTS: If using medium or large carrots, cut the carrots lengthwise in halves or quarters to about 1/2-3/4 inch thickness. Bring 1-2 inches of water to boil in large saucepan. Add pinch of salt. Add carrots and boil for 7 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a knife. Drain.
- MAKE GLAZE: While carrots are boiling, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- GRILL CARROTS: Lay carrots on a pan and brush with glaze. (I also spray them with some oil to be extra sure of no sticking to grill). Place on grill. Cover. Grill for 5-6 minutes total, turning and glazing a couple of times.
- SERVE: Transfer to plate, Drizzle leftover glaze. Garnish with thyme, green onions or chives. Serve.