Fresh carrots roasted with some oil, honey and thyme, then sprinkled with grated orange zest make these Roasted Honey-Thyme Carrots a treat. Simply a comfort food a little jazzed up.The carrots are sweetened by the honey, but they are not overly sweet. My friend, Judi, reminded me that maple syrup works equally as well and she’s right. I personally love the freshness and zing of the orange zest. Feel free to leave it out, though, if that’s not your thing.
I like to leave the carrots whole or, if too big, cut in half lengthwise. And, I leave a half inch of green stem at the top for a nice presentation. Diagonal pieces work fine, too, of course, especially when you have less time. The key is to make all the carrots approximately the same size so they cook evenly.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Omit the thyme or orange zest.
- Use maple syrup instead of honey.
Make Ahead Roasted Honey-Thyme Carrots
- Roast carrots ahead as per recipe then reheat at 375F -400F for 5-10 minutes.
Roasted Honey-Thyme Carrots Recipe
- 2 bunches slender carrots (about 1 pound)
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400F
- PREPARE CARROTS: Peel carrots. If you leave a 1/2 inch of green stems on, be sure the scrub the earth off around the stem (I use a peeler to get most of it off). Try to get all the carrots the same width in order to cook evenly- you may have to slice a few in half lengthwise. Place carrots on a parchment or foil-lined pan (if using foil, spray with oil). Mix honey, oil, thyme and salt in a small bowl. Pour mixture over carrots and toss around to coat well.
- ROAST CARROTS: Roast carrots for 20-25 minutes or until tender or a bit longer if you want them more caramelized. Give them a shake half way through.
- SERVE: Place carrots on a serving plate. Sprinkle orange zest over the carrots and drizzle lightly with more honey if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Here’s another jazzed up roasted carrot side dish you might like:
Roasted Glazed Carrot Tzimmes get the recipe