We love this flavor combination of roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant and apples. It’s a healthy, colorful side dish for any protein.
This dish is a perfect fall/winter side for chicken, steak, pork, fish or tofu. The sweet potatoes and apples add sweetness, the eggplant and peppers add creaminess and the rosemary adds a deep earthy tone. The combination is very appealing. Pure comfort food.
It’s an easy dish to throw together and it doesn’t need a lot of fussing. Just turn the vegetables once during cooking. And even that can be ignored if you’re pressed for time. Don’t expect the vegetables and apples to be crisp. They get very soft and a bit caramelized – just yummy comfort food.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Try substituting other vegetables like parsnips. white potatoes, carrots or celery for example.
- Use thyme instead of rosemary.
- Make sure you spray the foil-lined pan well (or the moisture from the veggies will make them stick to the pan);
- Don’t crowd the pan. Everything needs to be on one layer to avoid the vegetables from steaming. Use two pans if necessary.
- If the veggies are not caramelizing or browning as much as you want, give them a stir and either increase the oven temperature to 450F for the last 5-10 minutes or broil them for a minute or two.
- This dish can be made ahead. Just follow the directions for roasting. Let everything cool. Refrigerate overnight. Then reheat the next day by drizzling a little olive oil on top and roasting at 425F for about 15-20 minutes.
- If you’re preparing the dish for company and want to make it a couple hours a ahead, just roast for 10 minutes less, leave it on the counter, then reheat for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Peppers, Eggplant and Apples
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces (1 1/2-2 inches)
- 1 red pepper, seeds and core removed, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into pieces (optional)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped)
- olive oil (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- kosher salt (about 1 tsp) and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Preheat over to 425F
- PREPARE VEGETABLES/APPLES: Spray a large foil-lined rimmed pan with oil (or 2 smaller ones). In a large mixing bowl, add oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add sweet potatoes, onion, peppers, eggplant and apples to the bowl and toss to coat well. Spoon onto the pan in a single layer. If you have too much for a single layer, use two pans.
- ROAST: Roast for about 45 minutes, turning once, until edges are browned. (If you like them browner, you can broil them at the end for a minute or two). Sprinkle with chopped parsley or chives if desired. Serve immediately.
Here are 7 other super Sweet Potato recipes from our collection you might like get the post and recipes