This oven roasted vegetables recipe is simple comfort food. Sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant, apples and rosemary create a delicious side dish. Not to mention healthy and colorful. And never mind that an apple is not a vegetable. It works perfectly.
The sweet potatoes and apples add sweet notes, the eggplant and peppers add creaminess and the rosemary adds herby fragrance.
This recipe is a great way to use up those wilting vegetables in your pantry and fridge.
Don’t expect the vegetables and apples to be crisp. They get very soft and creamy and a bit caramelized. As I said, just yummy comfort food.
What to serve with roasted vegetables
The dish is a perfect side dish for our apricot chicken recipe, marinated flank steak, sous vide tri tip, sous vide maple mustard pork tenderloin, Canadian maple cedar plank salmon or tofu. Last weekend I served it to my vegetarian daughter as a main dish with a side of creamed spinach.
How to roast vegetables in the oven
This oven roasted vegetables recipe is an easy dish to throw together. It doesn’t need a lot of fussing. The recipe is really a guideline. Scale it up or down. And use the vegetables you like best. I love adding an apple for a touch of sweetness- it’s like biting into a baked apple.
The basic steps:
- Cut vegetables into chunks approximately the same size for even cooking. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the pieces – smaller pieces cook more quickly).
- Toss with oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Lay out veggies on a large pan in a single layer. The important thing is not to over crowd the pan.
- Roast at 425F/218C for 20 minutes. Flip the veggies over (if you have time). Hike to a high heat of 450F/232C and roast another 10-15 minutes until nicely caramelized.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Feel free to substitute with different vegetables (stick to harder ones) like parsnips, red onion, yellow bell peppers, white potatoes, green beans, carrots or brussels sprouts. Or leave out one of the veggies and use more of another. I suggest not mixing harder and softer vegetables (like zucchini) as they cook at different rates.
- Use thyme or Italian seasoning instead of rosemary.
- Add some roasted chopped pecans to the finished dish for crunchy texture.
- A day ahead: This oven roasted vegetable recipe can be made a day ahead if necessary. Just follow the directions for roasting. Let everything cool. Refrigerate overnight. Then reheat the next day by drizzling a little olive oil on top and roasting at 425F for about 15-20 minutes.
- A few hours ahead: If you’re preparing the dish for company and want to make it a couple hours a ahead, roast for 10 minutes less, leave it on the counter, then reheat for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Other oven roasted vegetables recipes you might like
- savory rice and roasted veggies
- parmesan roasted cauliflower
- whole roasted cauliflower with grape relish
- easy roasted boy choy and broccoli
- honey roasted parsnips
- spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables
- roasted cauliflower with orange-balsamic drizzle
How to make oven roasted vegetables
Oven Roasted Vegetable Recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces (1 1/2-2 inches)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and core removed, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into pieces (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 2 tsp fresh chopped)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Preheat over to 425F/218C. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray well with oil. Use 2 pans if needed.
- PREPARE VEGETABLES/APPLES: In a large bowl, add oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add sweet potatoes, onion, peppers, eggplant and apples to the bowl and toss to coat well. Spoon onto the pan in a single layer. If you have too much for a single layer, use two pans.
- ROAST: Roast for 20 minutes. Turn veggies over. Increase heat to 450F/232C. Roast another 10-15 minutes until slightly browned and caramelized. Sprinkle with fresh herbs like parsley or chives if desired. Taste and sprinkle with sea salt if needed. Serve immediately.
- Substitutes: You can substitute one or more of the veggies in the recipe with different types of vegetables like white potatoes, red onion, parsnips, carrots, cubed butternut squash, green beans, brussels sprouts. Or just leave out one or two of the veggies and add more of another veggie.
- To make ahead:
- A day ahead: Follow directions above. Cool and refrigerate for up to a day in an airtight container. To reheat, spread on foil lined pan sprayed with oil. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Reheat at 425F/218C for about 15-20 minutes.
- A few hours ahead: If you are making these ahead that night for company, you can roast the vegetables a few hours a head for 10 minutes less time, then pop them in the oven again before serving for 10-15 minutes.
This oven roasted vegetables recipe, originally published in 2016, has been updated with new information, recipe tweaks and pictures.