Spaghetti Squash With Roasted Vegetables is all about healthy, low calorie and satisfying. The shortcuts below will get this veggie comfort food on the table in under 30 minutes.
There are two cooking options for this recipe.
- The first one (provided in the recipe) is roasting the squash and the vegetables. This option uses one pan and roasts everything at the same time. It does take longer – about an hour – but there is minimal hands-on time. And you can use this option in the dead of winter when you don’t want to step outside to use your grill – or, of course, if you don’t have a grill. The veggies get extra flavour from caramelization in the oven.
- The second option is much shorter (less than 30 minutes) and uses a microwave to cook the spaghetti squash and a BBQ to cook the vegetables. The squash and the veggies take less than half the time to cook, but need more attention. The veggies get added flavour from the charring on the grill.
If you’re tired of salads or feel guilty about indulging too much lately, this guilt-free, super low calorie, healthy, satisfying dish might just do the trick. Serve the spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables as a main with some warm crusty bread or as a side for any protein. I like to finish the dish with a drizzle of dressing (recipe below) or alternatively with a splash of olive oil, a handful of grated Parmesan cheese and some fresh chopped herbs.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Good vegetables for roasting (or grilling): onions, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower. If roasting, you can also add some cherry tomatoes or shaved carrots.
- Herb options: thyme, rosemary, basil, chives, parsley
- Drizzle on any dressing you like.
- Serve the roasted vegetables over rice or quinoa instead of spaghetti squash.
Shortcuts (to cut time in half)
- To microwave squash: Pierce squash a few times with a knife. Microwave whole for 4 minutes (this just makes it easier to cut in half). Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place two halves cut side down in a microwavable dish filled with an inch of water. Microwave on high for 10-14 minutes (depending on size of squash and power of microwave) or until easily pierced with a fork.
- To grill vegetables: Heat grill to medium-high. Place cut vegetables in grill basket that has been sprayed with oil. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Place grill basket on grill. Close lid. Cook for 8 minutes. Stir. Cook another 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and some parts are charred.
- Dressing options: Instead of the dressing in the recipe, use a good store bought dressing. Or instead, just add garnishes such as a splash of olive oil, a handful of grated Parmesan cheese and some fresh chopped herbs.
Make Ahead Spaghetti Squash With Roasted Vegetables
- The squash and vegetables can be made ahead and warmed before serving. Add garnishes or dressing (if using) just before serving.
- This is one of the meals I brought to my daughter, kook Jenna, right after she had a baby and couldn’t think straight let alone cook. Mom wanted to make sure she (and hubby) were eating their vegetables.
Spaghetti Squash With Roasted Vegetables Recipe
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Garnish (optional): Parmesan cheese and/or chopped fresh herbs e.g. parsley, basil, thyme
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups vegetables, cut in 1 inch pieces e.g. eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic (1 small clove)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large pan with parchment or with foil sprayed with oil.
- PREPARE SPAGHETTI SQUASH: Cut off 1/2 inch on one end. Stand up squash on flat end. Cut in half lengthwise. ALTERNATIVELY (my preferred choice), pierce 2-3 times with knife, microwave for 4 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise (squash will be MUCH easier to cut after microwaving). Scoop out seeds with a spoon. Rub with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place CUT SIDE DOWN at one edge of pan.
- PREPARE VEGETABLES: Toss sliced onions and cut vegetables with oil, salt and pepper. Spread out in one layer on pan beside squash. If you don't have a large enough pan, use one pan for squash and another for vegetables.
- ROAST SQUASH AND VEGETABLES: for 30-40 minutes (depending on size of squash) until squash can be easily pierced with a fork and vegetables are beginning to caramelize. Stir veggies half way through roasting. Remove from oven and let squash cool for 10 minutes. If veggies need more time, return to oven for 5-10 minutes to ensure any liquid is absorbed. Using a fork, 'rake' squash to create "spaghetti' strands.
- MAKE DRESSING (OPTIONAL): While veggies are roasting, make dressing if desired. Whisk together all ingredients.
- ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Transfer squash strands to plate or bowl. Top with roasted vegetables. Drizzle on dressing if using. Or drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley or other chopped fresh herbs.
Here’s two other vegetarian dishes with roasted vegetables you might like:
Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice get the recipe
Roasted Vegetable and Rice Soup get the recipe