We’re sharing our recipe for how to roast raw pumpkin seeds – a Halloween tradition in our family.
Carve the pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin guts, season them and roast them. Crunch. It’s that simple.
Roasted pumpkin seeds was all part of the Halloween tradition of pumpkin carving, costumes, Unicef, giving out candy and, of course, trick or treating. Even now as empty nesters, my husband and I keep up the tradition – well, we don’t go trick or treating.
Every year, Jenna, my daughter (and kooks partner) comes over to choose a pumpkin with her dad. The design and carving is discussed and executed. Then Jenna and my husband fill little bags with candy for the big night while I roast the pumpkin seeds.
In a nutshell, to roast pumpkin seeds, add a bit of melted butter or oil. Salt. Roast. Done. Don’t worry about leaving a bit of pulp on the seeds. It adds flavor. Some people wash the pumpkin seeds before roasting. I don’t bother
I go traditional with simple kosher salt, but many play around with different seasonings. Give them a twist if you wish with a few of our suggestions below. Or do half traditional, half not.
Tailor To Your Taste
Other seasonings to try:
- savory: chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, lemon pepper
- sweet: cinnamon and brown sugar
- Buy pumpkin seeds with shells on
- For seasonings, you can buy pre-made seasoning blends such as ranch, rubs, bagel seasoning and herb blends. Many are available in bulk food stores, allowing you to buy small quantities.
Other pumpkin recipes you might like
How to Roast Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted or olive oil
- kosher salt
- Optional: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, pepper, etc
- Preheat the oven to 300F
- EXTRACT PUMPKIN SEEDS: Cut the top off the pumpkin. Reach in a take out the pulp (guts) and seeds. Separate the the pumpkin seeds from the pulp. It's ok to leave a little pulp on for flavor.
- PREPARE SEEDS: Combine the butter (or oil), salt and seeds. Add any other seasonings if desired. Mix to coat well. Lay out seeds in a single layer on a foil-lined or parchment-lined pan.
- ROAST: Roast for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Stir halfway through roasting. Enjoy.