Don’t toss out those seeds! We’re sharing a simple roasted pumpkin seeds recipe step by step. Enjoy this great snack in the Fall season – savory or sweet.
The basics: Remove the top of the pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin guts, season and roast them. It’s that easy.
Even now as empty nesters, my husband and I still love carving pumpkins every year for the trick-or-treaters. And I always roast pumpkin seeds. Tradition.
What to expect
Count on slimy hands when extracting seeds from a large pumpkin! I find the best way to separate pumpkin seeds (stuck to the slimy pumpkin flesh) is with your hands.
We use a simpler method for how to clean pumpkin seeds: Some recipes will have you wash the seeds to clean them. We don’t bother. We get rid of most of the pulp, but I don’t worry if there is a bit left on the seeds. It adds flavor. Some recipes boil the seeds before roasting. We don’t bother.
We are keeping seasoning super simple: We season the seeds with a little bit of oil (or butter) and kosher salt. But feel free to experiment with different flavors.
Ingredients – tailored to your taste
Ingredients: pumpkin seeds, oil (or butter), kosher salt.
- Savory seasoning: Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and lemon pepper are a few options. You can also try blends like cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, curry powder, or bagel seasoning.
- Sweet seasoning: cinnamon and brown sugar.
Step by step
Cut the top off the pumpkin. If using smaller sugar pumpkins or a pie pumpkin, cut it in half.
Scoop the pulp and seeds out of the pumpkin with your hands. Use a large spoon to scrape the sides.
Separate the seeds from the pumpkin pulp. No need to clean seeds perfectly.
Spread them on a rimmed baking sheet.
Toss seeds with oil and kosher salt then roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Buy pumpkin seeds with shells on.
- Buy pre-made seasoning blends for this pumpkin seed recipe such as ranch, rubs, bagel seasoning, pumpkin spice and herb blends. Many are available in bulk food stores, allowing you to buy small quantities.
How long do raw pumpkin seeds last? It’s a good idea to let your pumpkin seeds dry out on a baking sheet at room temperature. They will brown better in the oven. If you are still not ready to roast your seeds, put them in an airtight container or zipper-lock bag and keep them in the fridge for a day or two.
How long will roasted pumpkin seeds last? They will last for 2-3 weeks.
How to store pumpkin seeds? Place the roasted seeds in an airtight container of ziploc bag. You want to avoid moisture to keep their crunch.
You can eat pumpkin seeds with the shell (more fiber) or without the shell.
Although pumpkin seeds and pepitas are often used interchangeably, pumpkin seeds refer to the entire seed with the white shell. Pepitas are the green inner seeds without the outer shell.
Pumpkin seeds can be eaten raw or roasted.
According to Healthline, pumpkin seeds are rich in antioxidants, iron, zinc, magnesium and fiber.
More pumpkin recipes
- spiced pumpkin pancakes
- rustic-style pumpkin scones (glazed)
- roasted pumpkin salad with couscous (sweet potatoes is a great substitute)
- pumpkin risotto recipe (instant pot)
- slow cooker pumpkin risotto recipe
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe (Step by Step)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted or olive oil
- kosher salt
- Optional seasoning: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, bagel seasoning, etc
- HEAT OVEN to 300F/150C. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- EXTRACT PUMPKIN SEEDS: Cut the top off the pumpkin. I scrape the sides with a spoon or ice cream scoop and take out pumpkin guts (pulp) and seeds with my hands. If starting with a small pie pumpkin, cut it in half. It's ok to leave a little pulp on for extra flavor. Let the seeds sit out a bit to dry or pat them well with paper towels.
- PREPARE SEEDS: Combine the butter (or oil), salt and dry seeds. Add any other seasonings if desired. Mix to coat well. Lay out seeds in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- ROAST PUMPKIN SEEDS: Roast seeds for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Stir halfway through roasting. Enjoy your healthy snack! Let cool completely before storing.
- Savory seasoning: Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, and lemon pepper are a few options. You can also try blends like cajun, Italian seasoning, curry, or bagel seasoning.
- Sweet seasoning: cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Make ahead and store:
- Before roasting, you can put the raw pumpkin seeds in the fridge for a day or two.
- After roasting, cool the seeds, then store your delicious snack in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks at room temperature.