In the spirit of Fall, we’re making slow cooker pumpkin risotto recipe. Rich, creamy and dairy free (unless you add Parmesan).
And best of all, it’s a super easy risotto to make.
If you have ever made risotto before, you know that it can be pretty labor intensive standing over the stove stirring and slowly adding your liquid in intervals.
In this slow cooker pumpkin risotto recipe from my good friend Mike (aka @omgchampagne), you just dump in your ingredients and walk away.
It doesn’t get easier than that. While the cooking time is 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours (see important note in recipe), the prep work is virtually non-existent. Simply throw everything in the crock pot and let it do its magic.
The pumpkin is the star of this easy risotto. It gives a great hit of orange color to the plate and is perfect for a main or side dish.
Pumpkin is also very high in Vitamin A for added nutrition. Make sure you use canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
It’s best to serve the slow cooker pumpkin risotto right away as the longer you let it sit around, the less al dente it becomes. Serve with a salad and some roasted pumpkin seeds on the side. Or as one of the vegetarian Thanksgiving side dish recipes on your buffet table.
Tailor To Your Taste
- If you want to get fancy, you can add some sauteed mushrooms and onions to the mixture before turning on the crock pot.
- Garnish the risotto with parsley, chives or fried sage
- Add Parmesan cheese, stirring it directly into the risotto when complete or sprinkled on top.
Other risotto recipes you might like
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Risotto Recipe
- 1 can of Pumpkin (398 ml) or pumpkin puree Not pumpkin pie filling!
- 1 1/4 cup Arborio Rice
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- pinch Salt & Pepper
- 3 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)
- garnish: chopped parsley, chives or fried sage
- PREP: Put all ingredients (except Parmesan cheese) into slower cooker and give it a stir (put in the vegetable broth last without stirring it).
- COOK RISOTTO: Put the slow cooker on the high setting and let it cook for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. (Note 1)
- FINISH: When finished, stir in your Parmesan cheese if using and serve right away. The longer it sits around, the less al dente it will become.