Apples, cider, chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and thyme combine beautifully in this easy chicken stir fry with apples for a quick and tasty weeknight meal.
You may be wondering about cider and apples in a chicken stir fry, but think about it…
Chicken and apples pair well. Onions and apples pair well. Onions and peppers and thyme pair well. So try not to judge. You might be pleasantly surprised.
The ingredients may sound a bit odd for a stir fry but they do work well together. Sort of comfort fall food meets Asian stir fry. Just a simple, easy low fuss meal that tastes good.
Get some rice, quinoa or mashed potatoes cooking while you make the stir fry. Dinner in 30 minutes. Here’s a nice Vegetable Wonton Soup to serve it with.
Tailor To Your Taste
- As always, I prefer using boneless thighs, but chicken tenders or breasts are fine too. In fact, pork tenderloin would work equally well.
- In addition to onions and peppers, add some fresh baby spinach at the end for beautiful color and added nutrition. Honestly, I use whatever I have on hand.
Make Ahead Easy Chicken Stir Fry With Apples
- You can make this ahead and warm it in the microwave for lunch or dinner the next day. Just add a little extra broth or water to loosen it up if needed.
Chicken Stir Fry With Apples
- 2 pound boneless chicken (white or dark), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon flour, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice or cider (water is ok too)
- 2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped herbs (e.g. parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into small pieces
- STIR FRY CHICKEN: Coat chicken lightly in the seasoned flour. Heat oil to medium-high in a large skillet. Stir fry chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Don't crowd the pan - do this in two batches if necessary. Spoon chicken onto a plate, cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- STIR FRY VEGETABLES AND SEASONINGS: Add a teaspoon more oil if needed. Stir fry onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme. Stir fry for another minute.
- FINISH THE DISH AND SERVE: Add cider, applesauce, apple cider (or juice) and sugar if using. Mix well for a minute or two to heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add chicken back into the skillet and stir. Sprinkle herbs and chopped apple on top. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, noodles or quinoa.
Here are some other stir fry and skillet dinners you might like: