Creamy risotto without the constant hands-on stirring? Yes! This Instant Pot Risotto with Grilled Vegetables takes minimal effort for exceptional results.
The Instant Pot is not the be-all and end-all for everything in my opinion, but does make a great risotto in less time and, specifically, much less hands-on time. I used two recipes for inspiration – Lexi’s Clean Kitchen and Hip Pressure Cooking. After 3 tries, I landed on the tweaks and additions I’m happy with. I know my dinner guests were.
The instant pot risotto in the recipe below starts with that signature creamy texture flavoured with lemon and Parmesan. It incorporates fresh baby spinach and grilled vegetables for added texture and healthiness. The end result is a great weeknight side or main dish. And it’s certainly company-worthy.
- This recipe has a higher ratio of liquid to rice than a typical risotto to balance the Parmesan and vegetables. In fact I tried 4 cups of broth and 4 1/4 cups of broth and preferred the 4 1/4 when adding the Parmesan. I like it a bit looser and creamier though. It’s all a matter of preference.
- Make sure the wine is completely evaporated before you turn on the Pressure Cooker.
- Saute the onions to the translucent stage before pressure cooking i.e. don’t skip this step.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use any grilled vegetables you like.
- If you don’t have a grill, roast vegetables in the oven at 425F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs before serving – thyme, oregano, chives, parsley.
- Use baby kale instead of spinach.
- Skip the grilled vegetables.
- I’ve successfully made this dish ahead as well as warmed up leftovers in the microwave. So, a great potluck dish! Prepare the dish (I suggest using the full 4 1/4 cups broth as the risotto thickens on standing), then microwave for a minute or two or as needed, stirring part way through.
Lemon Risotto with Grilled Vegetables (Instant Pot)
For Grilled Veggies
- 1 bunch asparagus (10 stalks)
- 1 red pepper
- 4 green onions or 1/2 red/white onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 tsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cup Arborio short grain rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 tbsp butter (half stick)
- 4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable) plus 1/4 cup more if needed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or less if broth is salty)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach or kale
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (Optional)
- Preheat grill to High.
- PREPARE AND GRILL VEGETABLES: Cut vegetables into small pieces and toss with oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place in grill basket. Grill for 4 minutes, stir, then another 4 minutes. Set aside. (I turn off BBQ and leave lid on to keep warm). If you don't have a grill, roast vegetables on a pan lined with foil and sprayed with oil for 15 minutes at 425F.
- MAKE RISOTTO - STEP 1 SAUTE: While vegetables are grilling, press SAUTE on Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Once heated, add oil, onions and garlic. Stir for 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes to toast (it will stay white). Add white wine and stir until completely evaporated (30 seconds). Add about a cup of broth and stir for a minute.
- MAKE RISOTTO - STEP 2 PRESSURE COOK: Turn Instant pot to OFF. Add rest of broth, butter and thyme. Secure lid. Turn VALVE to sealing. Turn PRESSURE or MANUAL setting on. Set for 6 minutes. Count down will start when pressure has built up (about 8-10 minutes). Once time is finished (instant pot will automatically change setting to Keep Warm), do a Quick Release of pressure by turning valve to VENTING (keep fingers away from vent). When pressure is fully released, remove lid.
- FINISH RISOTTO: Stir risotto. It will be loose at first. Stir in spinach until wilted (30 seconds). Stir in lemon juice, zest, Parmesan (if using) and grilled vegetables. Add more broth if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add salt if needed. Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately topped with additional Parmesan if desired.
Other rice dishes you might like:
Lemon Dill Rice-Orzo (Homemade Rice-a-Roni) get the recipe
Curried Rice with Raisins get the recipe