Eggplant lovers will rave about this grilled eggplant with a sweet and tangy glaze. The beautiful bold colours make this an impressive side dish at any BBQ or picnic.
I’ve been eating this eggplant all my life. My mother called it “candied” eggplant and it showed up in many company and family dinners. She, however, broiled it and used a bottled Catalina dressing instead of making it from scratch. Honestly, the taste is very close, so don’t be afraid to use that shortcut. I did until recently when I discovered how easy it was to quasi-replicate Catalina or French dressing with just a few ingredients.
Either way, this eggplant dish is really tasty, looks gorgeous (in my humble opinion) and is simple to make. Those are 3 of my most important criteria for any recipe so it definitely makes the cut.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use rosemary or thyme instead of oregano.
- Replace or add other vegetables with the glaze such as zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, red onion, asparagus. Some will take less cooking time though.
- I almost always make this ahead for a dinner party. It can sit on the counter for hours and be served at room temperature or warmed in the oven or for a few seconds in the microwave before serving.
- Replace the glaze ingredients with store-bought Catalina or French dressing
- Instead of grilling, broil a few minutes on each side. No need to heat the grill or spray with oil.
By the way, this eggplant makes a wicked topping for chicken or beef burgers (see picture below). Serve it with Lemon Panko-Crusted Salmon or Mediterranean-Style Marinated Chicken or any other protein.
Also check out: