I’ve recently become a convert from beef to chicken for my burgers because I found a way to make them juicy and flavorful. Grilled Chicken Burgers with mango avocado salsa are great BBQ or weeknight family fare.
I avoided minced chicken completely until recently, remembering it to be dry and tasteless. With several experiments under my belt in the last few months (and of course lots of research), I am now a fan as I’ve discovered it can be delicious with the right preparation. And a healthier option too.
The moistness comes from a panade or ‘bread mush/paste’ made from fresh bread mixed with mayonnaise or liquid. The flavor is boosted with fresh parsley (really good!) and other seasonings which, of course, you can vary to your taste. I also find dark meat minced chicken greatly adds to moist tasty burgers.
The mango-avocado salsa topping adds both a silky texture and sweet tangy flavor. My husband, also not a previous chicken burger fan, loved these burgers. Juicy, moist, delicious. And bonus – they only take about 22 minutes to make.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Vary the seasonings in the burgers. For example, add thyme, a tablespoon or two of ketchup or BBQ sauce, lemon zest or sriracha for heat.
- Use chopped basil or cilantro instead of parsley.
- Add a dollop of BBQ sauce on the bun when assembling for a nice flavor contrast.
- Add a splash of maple syrup or honey (I always do this) and/or a pinch of chili flakes, garlic, ginger.
- Instead of the mango-avocado salsa, try peach or pineapple salsa, pesto or spicy guacamole.
- Ground Chicken
- Use ground beef or pork instead of ground chicken. Or ground salmon.
- Use the minced chicken mixture to make meatballs instead of burgers. See a few of our meatball and minced chicken recipes listed below.
- I always prefer to use dark meat chicken because it’s juicier and more flavorful than white meat. With the panade, however, white meat should work fine too.
- To reduce the calories, make 6 quarter-pound burgers instead of 5 third-of-a-pound burgers.
- Skip the mango-avocado salsa and use a store-bought chutney instead. Or any other of your favorite burger toppings.
- Use 1/3 -1/2 cup breadcrumbs such as Panko instead of tearing the bread into tiny pieces.
- Freeze the burgers in their raw form or freeze them after grilling.
Grilled Chicken Burgers with Mango Salsa
- 1/2 cup bread, torn into tiny pieces (I use a bun or 2 slices bread)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (or milk or broth) (or milk or broth)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (about 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs minced chicken (white or dark. I use dark - juicier and more flavorful)
- 5 buns, split in half
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 large mango or 2 small
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: splash of honey or maple syrup; pinch of garlic powder, chili flakes and/or ginger
- Heat BBQ grill to medium high (400-450F).
- MAKE SALSA: Peel and dice mango and avocado into small pieces. Place in small bowl. Add lime, salt, pepper and optional ingredients if using. (I add maple syrup). Set aside.
- MAKE PANADE (BREAD 'PASTE'): In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients (not including chicken, buns and salsa ingredients). Let stand a few minutes if using milk or broth to allow liquid to absorb.
- FORM BURGERS: Add minced chicken. Using your hands, mix lightly with panade to combine. Wet your hands and lightly form mixture into 5 patties (about 1/3 pound each). Try not to overwork the meat. Slightly depress each patty in centre to avoid it puffing up on grill.
- GRILL BURGERS: Lightly spray burgers with oil to avoid sticking to grill (I find this works better than spraying grill directly). Grill 2-4 minutes per side until instant thermometer reaches 165F.
- SERVE: Grill or toast buns. Place bottom half of toasted buns on platter and add burgers. On each burger, top with some salsa and a dollop of BBQ sauce if desired. Top with other half of bun. Serve.
Here are other toppings for burgers you might like:
And a few other minced chicken recipes: