Use this classic basil pesto recipe in appetizers, toppings and many of our recipes incorporating pesto.
A perfect way to use up your summer garden basil.
Process garlic, basil, oil, walnuts or pine nuts, Parmesan cheese in a processor and voila. Pesto in 5 minutes. Check out a few of our recipes below that use pesto. One of our most popular recipes is Pesto and Vegetable Orzo.
- Pesto lasts 5-7 days in the fridge.
- I freeze it in ziploc bags in 1/4 cup portions to use whenever I need pesto. Lasts 3-4 months in the freezer.
Looking for recipe ideas for fresh basil?
Be sure to check a few of our delicious fresh basil recipes.
Classic Basil Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup pinenuts or walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 small cloves (or teaspoons) garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- MAKE THE PESTO: Grind pine nuts (or walnuts) and garlic in a food processor for a minute. Add basil leaves and process for another minute. Slowly add in oil from the feeder tube until combined. Add Parmesan cheese and process a few more seconds. Freezes well.