Feature these Grilled Hasselback Sweet Potatoes in the star supporting role at your next BBQ. A shortcut makes them quick and easy to make.
You can grill these potatoes for an hour on indirect heat or you can take a shortcut and pre-cook them in the microwave for 4-6 minutes (for total cooking time of 15 minutes). To me, there’s no contest. I can’t taste the difference. The shortcut not only takes way less time, but it also makes cutting the sweet potatoes (to “hasselback” them) a snap. If you’ve ever cut through sweet potatoes with a knife, you know what I mean.
There are a couple of reasons to hasselback your sweet potatoes. The first is to show off. They make for a great presentation with very little effort (shh). The second is that the topping flavors you choose penetrate pretty much every bite. Try serving them with Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Wings, Cedar Planked Chicken or Moist and Flavorful Grilled Pork Chops.
Tailor To Your Taste
The recipe provides four combinations of toppings, but feel free to experiment with your favourite seasonings.
- Maple Pecan: butter, maple syrup, rosemary or thyme, nutmeg or cinnamon – and chopped pecans. A sprinkle of orange zest might be a great addition. (this one is adapted from Amazing Ribs).
- Garlic Butter Herb: butter, garlic, chopped herbs (e.g. chives, thyme, rosemary, sage), lemon juice.
- Pesto Parmesan: Pesto, olive oil, Parmesan cheese. (Classic Basil Pesto Recipe)
- Honey Dijon: Honey, Dijon, butter, rosemary, chili flakes
Make Ahead Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- The sweet potatoes and topping can be prepared well ahead. Just brush with the topping and grill for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Grilled Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (Shortcut) Recipe
- 2 large (or 4 small) sweet potatoes, scrubbed
Topping Options (choose 1)
- 1. MAPLE PECAN (4 Tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme, pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon. (Add 2 Tablespoons finely chopped pecans in last step of recipe).
- 2. GARLIC BUTTER HERB (4 Tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon minced or grated garlic, 2 Tablespoons finely chopped herbs (e.g. chives, thyme, rosemary), 1 Tablespoon lemon juice).
- 3. PESTO PARMESAN (4 Tablespoons Pesto, 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use grated Parmesan cheese as garnish).
- 4. HONEY DIJON (3 Tablespoons honey, 1 Tablespoon Dijon, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 Tablespoon rosemary finely chopped, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes)
- Preheat gas grill to medium high (400F)
- PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes with knife in a few places to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high 4 minutes (for small potatoes) and 6 minutes (for larger potatoes) until tender. Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal slits on each potato 1/4-1/3 inches apart. DO NOT cut all the way through.
- MAKE TOPPING OF YOUR CHOICE: Combine ingredients for topping option you choose in a small bowl. If topping includes butter, microwave for 20 seconds. Brush half of topping over potatoes, including in between each slit. Reserve the rest for drizzling before serving. If using nuts, add them to the reserved topping.
- GRILL SWEET POTATOES: Grill sweet potatoes for 3-4 minutes, slit side down, until char marks form. If desired, grill on both sides as well, carefully turning with tongs. No need to grill the bottom. Remove to plate. Brush on remaining topping. Garnish with parsley, nuts or other garnish if desired. Larger potatoes can be cut in half or thirds before serving.
Other sweet potato sides you might like: