This vegetable strudel recipe wraps a savory filling of sweet potatoes, onion, peppers, apple, spinach & goat cheese in a flaky puff pastry. It’s a wonderful make-ahead main or side dish for a special occasion. And easy with a great shortcut.
I’ve been imagining some sort of vegetarian puff pastry recipe for some time now. I saw something similar and scoured my magazines for weeks trying to find what I think I saw. No luck.
So I decided to forge ahead with a strudel recipe, combining flavors and textures I like and, of course, making it as simple as possible with a nice presentation. My testers gave it two thumbs up. Blog worthy they both said.
It’s all a matter of taste of course so feel free to balance the ratios you prefer or even use different vegetables. The goat cheese gives the dish some tang and creaminess and it also serves to hold things together nicely. I love the apple in the vegetable strudel combination which adds some sweetness.
If you love sweet potatoes and a similar combination of veggies, try our popular Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash as a quicker alternative.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use alternative vegetables or leave out the ones you don’t like. Just try to keep the approximate total quantity the same. If you use veggies with high water content like zucchini and mushrooms, make sure you cook off the water before making the strudel to avoid sogginess.
- Use different seasonings like rosemary or sage instead of thyme. Or add cumin if you like.
- Try other cheeses like Gruyere or Fontina. If you leave the cheese out, be sure to saute out the liquid so the filling still holds together.
- Instead of one big log, make individual portions with the puff pastry.
- Use the filling to make knishes. See our Super Easy Potato Knishes recipe.
- The strudel recipe calls for a store-bought puff pastry. I use the kind that already comes in rolled sheets (two per box) which eliminates any rolling of the dough. You will just need one sheet. It’s so easy and works perfectly every time.
- Use a food processor to chop the vegetables. I do this all the time. And don’t worry about exact measurements.
- If you don’t want to bother with a processor, microwave the sweet potato for about 4 minutes, then peel and dice it finely. Easier to cut and sauteing will take less time.
Make Ahead Strudel Recipe
- Instructions for 3 options are in the recipe notes – make ahead the same day, make ahead the next day or freeze the unbaked vegetarian strudel and bake it when needed.
Vegetable Strudel Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3/4 lb), peeled
- 1 onion (about 1 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded
- 1 large apple diced small
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 110 gram goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon thyme, rosemary or sage (or a combination)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Puff Pastry Wrapping
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet , defrosted (usually comes two pre-rolled 10 x 10 sheets per box)
- Egg wash: mix one egg with a tablespoon water.
- Heat oven to 400F.
- PREPARE AND SAUTE VEGETABLES/FRUIT: Dice onions, sweet potatoes and peppers finely (1/4-1/2 inch). Shortcuts: Chop vegetables in food processor in 2-3 batches. For easier peeling and dicing sweet potato, microwave it first (pierced with knife) for 4 minutes, peel and dice. If you do this, saute other veggies first, then add sweet potato as it will take less time. Heat oil in large skillet to medium high. Add onions, peppers and sweet potatoes. Saute for for 6-9 minutes until sweet potatoes are almost soft. Add apples, garlic and seasonings. Saute another 2-3 minutes until potatoes are soft (not mushy). Mix in spinach until wilted, one minute. Turn off heat. Mix in crumbled goat cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- MAKE STRUDEL: Unfold puff pastry sheet onto flat lightly floured surface. (If puff pastry is not pre-rolled, roll it on floured surface to approximately 12 x 10 inch rectangle.) Spoon vegetable mixture into center, leaving enough room to fold dough over like an envelope. Wrap vegetable mixture by overlapping dough from sides and ends. Pinch dough together to secure.
- BAKE: Place strudel seam side down on pan lined with parchment paper. Use pastry brush to brush egg wash on top and sides. Make 8 evenly spaced small horizontal slits to allow steam to escape. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.
- SERVE: Slice strudel into 8-9 pieces and serve as a side dish or as a main dish with soup or salad. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
The vegetable strudel recipe, first published in 2017, has been updated with new tips and pictures.
For other sweet potato recipes, try: