Original post date Oct 2016; updated Feb 2019
This quick and easy Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash recipe with onions, garlic, peppers and smoked paprika is a delicious side, main, breakfast item or filling.
I love this dish for several reasons. It’s versatile. It only takes about 20 minutes to make. It’s beautiful on the plate with deep orange, red and green colors. It’s healthy. And it’s a nice change from candied, mashed or roasted sweet potatoes. Of course it tastes great too.
I made a version of this vegetarian sweet potato hash with black beans for my daughter (the other kook) after she gave birth. I wrapped the hash in soft tortillas to make burritos and froze them. Needless to say, she was very grateful to have something nutritious and satisfying she could throw in the microwave for a minute or two during the first few months of chaos. Here are her thoughts in Food? What Food?…Life After Giving Birth.
Tailor To Your Taste
- For a non-vegetarian version, add some cooked crispy bacon or sausage at the end.
- To make it more substantial and nutritious, add some rinsed, canned black beans.
- Use whatever vegetables you like in addition to the sweet potatoes. For example, try mushrooms, celery, fresh baby spinach.
- Play around with the seasonings. Add cumin or coriander and perhaps some heat with chili flakes.
- Instead of a side dish, it can also be a filling for a wrap, a breakfast item or even a main dish with, for example, some eggs or tofu on top.
- There are many similar recipes on the internet. This recipe was inspired by the Neelys on Food Network. As always, I looked for the quickest way to get from point A to point B without compromising taste. In this case, I precooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave for 4-5 minutes which shortened the skillet time and didn’t require an extra pot to wash.
Make Ahead Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash
- Cool hash, then refrigerate until ready to use. To reheat, spread on a foil lined pan sprayed with oil and heat at 425F for about 7-10 minutes.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or less)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or chives
- PRECOOK THE SWEET POTATO: (quick version). Pierce the potato in a few places. Microwave for about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes until fairly tender but not too soft (it should still have enough firmness for easy cutting). Peel off skin with a knife or leave on if preferred. Cut the sweet potato into cubes. See Notes for alternative cooking methods
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet to medium-high. Add onions, pepper, garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Spoon vegetable mixture into a bowl.
- SAUTE SWEET POTATO: Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet to medium high. Add pre-cooked sweet potato cubes in a single layer. Saute for a few minutes undisturbed until browned on one side. Stir and saute for a couple more minutes until browned on all sides.
- FINISH THE HASH: Add smoked paprika and stir. Add vegetable mixture and parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently. Serve immediately. To make ahead, see Notes.
Boil: Peel and cut the potato into cubes, Boil in salted water for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain and dry well on paper towels.
Roast: Peel and cut the potato into cubes. Lay on foil-lined pan sprayed with oil. Roast at 400F for about 20 minutes until tender.To Make Ahead: Cool hash, then refrigerate until ready to use. To reheat, spread on a foil lined pan sprayed with oil and heat at 425F for about 7-10 minutes.
Other sweet potato recipes you might like:
Grilled Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (Shortcut) get the recipe
Maple-Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes get the recipe