BBQ sweet potatoes with apples, scallions and honey-lime glaze is a healthy, vibrant vegetarian side dish, served warm or room temperature.
A shortcut makes them quick and easy.
The trick I use for the BBQ sweet potatoes is to precook them before grilling. This cuts the grilling and hands-on time way down and ensures they don’t burn in the process. You can boil the sweet potatoes, but I prefer to microwave them – much faster and no extra pot. Once precooked, the skins easily peel off with a knife or, if you like, you can leave the skins on. Just make sure you wash them well before microwaving.
The honey and lime glaze adds a sweet zesty boost to the sweetness of the potatoes and the slight tartness of the apples. Watch carefully when the glaze is added at the end as it can burn easily from the sugar. (I love a bit of char though).
BBQ sweet potatoes and apples pair beautifully with grilled Vietnamese chicken, chili lime chicken wings, sous vide flank steak, Canadian maple cedar plank salmon, cedar planked chicken or marinated pork chops.
Tailor to Your Taste
- Apples: Use apples that hold up well such as golden delicious, pink lady, fuji, gala, honey crisp, granny smith, etc.
- Leave out or substitute apples or scallions.
- Instead of honey and lime, try a maple syrup. lemon and cinnamon glaze.
- Add a pinch of cayenne for heat.
- Garnish with cilantro or chives.
- Don’t bother peeling the skin off the sweet potatoes.
- Microwaving the sweet potatoes before cutting and grilling saves a lot of time.
- Substitute a bottled Thai sweet chili sauce for the honey lime glaze. This will also add some heat.
- It’s fine to make BBQ sweet potatoes and apples early in the day and serve them in the evening. Or even the day before. It can be warmed in the oven or microwave. Or just bring the dish to room temperature.
Love sweet potatoes?
Then try one of these other easy sweet potato recipes.
- Squash, Sweet Potato & Mandarin Soup
- Vegetable strudel recipe
- Vegetarian sweet potato hash (a reader favorite)
- BBQ sweet potatoes and apples (another reader favorite)
- Maple lime roasted sweet potatoes
- Roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant and apples
- Curried sweet potato and vegetable soup
Steps to make BBQ sweet potatoes and apples
BBQ Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 apples Note 1
- 3 large scallions (or green onions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley, chives or cilantro (garnish)
Honey Lime Glaze
- 1 large lime (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- HEAT GRILL to medium high.
- PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with a sharp knife. Microwave for about 5 minutes or until knife pierces through easily (potatoes should not be too soft - they need to hold up on the grill where they will cook a bit more). Peel potatoes by slicing skin off the sides with a knife. Cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices.
- PREPARE APPLES: Wash apples and cut them horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Remove middle core from each slice. (Note, if you have an apple corer, core apple first, then slice).
- PREPARE THE GLAZE/DRESSING: Combine dressing/glaze ingredients using a small whisk. Taste and adjust to your liking by adding more lime, salt, honey, etc. You will use some glaze/dressing during the grilling stage and the rest to drizzle on the salad when assembled.
- OIL POTATOES, APPLES, SCALLIONS - THEN GRILL: Lay scallions, apples and potatoes on a pan lined with foil (for easy cleanup). Brush with oil on both sides. Grill all vegetables 2-3 minutes on one side until charred marks appear. Flip to the other side and brush with glaze. Continue cooking on second side about 2-3 minutes until potatoes and apples are tender (but not mushy). Scallions will take less time to cook. Glaze the second side and transfer to a pan.
- ASSEMBLE AND SERVE. Cut apples in half. You can leave the sweet potato disks whole or cut them in half. Cut the scallions in 1-2 inch pieces. Pile sweet potatoes, scallions and apples onto a platter or shallow bowl. Drizzle with remaining glaze/dressing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Apples: Use apples that hold up well such as golden delicious, pink lady, fuji, gala, honey crisp, granny smith.
- Make ahead: It's fine to make this recipe early in the day and serve it in the evening. Or even make it the day before. It can be warmed in the oven or microwave if you like. Or just bring the dish to room temperature.
This recipe, first published in 2017, has been edited with updated information and pictures.