This grilled sweet potato recipe with apples, scallions and honey-lime is a delicious, vibrant, healthy side for any BBQ or summer meal, served warm or room temperature. And a perfect make-ahead dish for potluck.
The honey and lime glaze/vinaigrette adds a sweet zesty boost to the sweetness of the potatoes and the slight tartness of the apples.
I use Pink Lady apples, but you can use a sweeter Honey Crisp if you prefer or Fuji. All of these stand up well to grilling and won’t break down and turn to mush.
The trick for the grilled sweet potatoes is to precook them before grilling. This cuts the grilling time to a few minutes and ensures they don’t burn in the process. You can boil the sweet potatoes, but I prefer to microwave them – much faster and no extra pot. Once precooked, the skins easily peel off with a knife or, if you like, you can leave the skins on. Just make sure you wash them well before microwaving.
Tailor to Your Taste
- Leave out or substitute apples or scallions.
- Instead of honey and lime, try maple syrup. lemon and cinnamon.
Make Ahead Grilled Sweet Potato Recipe
- It’s fine to make this recipe early in the day and serve it in the evening. Or even make it the day before. It can be warmed in the oven or microwave if you like. Or just bring the dish to room temperature.
- Don’t bother peeling the skin off the sweet potatoes.
- Microwaving the sweet potatoes before cutting and grilling saves a lot of time.
Grilled Sweet Potato Recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 apples (Fuji, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady)
- 3 large scallions (or green onions)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (garnish)
Honey Lime Dressing/Glaze
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin (optional)
- HEAT GRILL to medium high.
- PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with a sharp knife. Microwave for about 5 minutes or until knife pierces through easily (potatoes should not be too soft - they need to hold up on the grill where they will cook a bit more). Peel potatoes by slicing skin off the sides with a knife. Cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices.
- PREPARE APPLES: Wash apples and cut them horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Remove middle core from each slice. (Note, if you have an apple corer, core apple first, then slice).
- PREPARE THE GLAZE/DRESSING: Combine dressing/glaze ingredients using a small whisk. Taste and adjust to your liking by adding more lime, salt, honey, etc. You will use some glaze/dressing during the grilling stage and the rest to drizzle on the salad when assembled.
- OIL POTATOES, APPLES, SCALLIONS - THEN GRILL: Lay scallions, apples and potatoes on a pan lined with foil (for easy cleanup). Brush with oil on both sides. Grill all vegetables 2-3 minutes on one side until charred marks appear. Flip to the other side and brush with glaze. Continue cooking on second side about 2-3 minutes until potatoes and apples are tender (but not mushy). Scallions will take less time to cook. Glaze the second side and transfer to a pan.
- ASSEMBLE AND SERVE. Cut apples in half. You can leave the sweet potato disks whole or cut them in half. Cut the scallions in 1-2 inch pieces. Pile sweet potatoes, scallions and apples onto a platter or shallow bowl. Drizzle with remaining glaze/dressing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
Here are a few other sweet potato recipes you might like: