Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Wings are tangy and sweet with a little bit of heat. Scrumptious even cold (if you manage to have any leftovers, which I doubt).
We had one grilled chili lime chicken wing left over from dinner the other night, only because I pried it away from my husband who figured ‘why save one wing’. Well it’s gone. I tiptoed downstairs later that night and at that lone wing. Couldn’t resist.
These wings are really good! The fresh lime, honey, chili and garlic flavors permeate the wings and don’t just coat the top.
The honey-lime-chili glaze is added at the end because of the sugar content which makes it burn easily, so be careful during the last few minutes of cooking. I actually like a bit of char on my grilled chicken wings, but it’s not the healthiest option. You can certainly avoid it if you want.
Tailor To Your Taste
- The recipe calls for a gas grill, but you can use charcoal or even the oven (bake at 400F, then glaze and broil for a couple of minutes).
- I often leave my wings whole because it’s less work to turn on the grill. Split wings are fine too, of course. Just reduce the cooking time a bit. In fact split wings are better for appetizers and buffet tables as they are easier to eat.
- Marinate the wings at room temperature (instead of the fridge) for 20-30 minutes. Or skip the marinating step altogether (the flavors won’t be as intense though).
Make Ahead Grilled Chicken Wings
- The wings can be made ahead and either warmed up in the oven or served at room temperature.
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs chicken wings, tips off (whole or split) about 12-15
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder or more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- MARINATE WINGS: Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl. Place marinade in a ziploc bag with wings. Seal bag and massage to coat the wings well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- GRILL WINGS: Spray grill with oil (or use an oiled paper towel to oil grills) and heat to High. Tip: I also spray the wings with oil to avoid sticking on grill. Lower burners on half of grill to medium low heat (about 325F). Leave other half on High. Place wings on side with low heat. Cover and grill for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the wings, turning once or twice.
- MIX GLAZE: In the meantime, combine ingredients for the glaze in a bowl. If you prefer the glaze a little thicker, place the ingredients in a small saucepan and boil for a minute until slightly thickened.
- FINISH WINGS: Increase heat under wings to medium-high and continue grilling wings for a few minutes on each side to get a golden crispy skin on the wings. Brush glaze on wings with a pastry brush. Grill for a few minutes. Turn the wings. Glaze the other side and grill for a few more minutes. Watch carefully as the sugar in the glaze can burn easily. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Other grilled chicken recipes you might like: