If you like the combination of sweet, spicy, garlic and citrus, you’ll love this Spicy Honey-Lime Chicken recipe. Delicious and versatile. The recipe can be made with chicken thighs (my fave), breasts, skewers or even bone in chicken. Pictured here are chicken skewers with white meat (as originally intended). My preference, though, would be boneless thighs – skewered or not – because they are so flavorful, they absorb the marinade well and they tend to stay moister than breasts. I think the recipe would also work well with pork skewers, tenderloin or chops.
Tips for Honey-Lime Chicken
- For appetizers, cut the chicken into small pieces and thread on small wooden skewers or toothpicks to serve.
- The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons of sriracha. That is way too spicy for me, so I reduced the amount in my recipe to 1 tablespoon. It’s still has a good kick, but if you’re they type to drown your food in hot sauce, by all means, add some more. Or reduce the sriracha even further if you need to.
- Instead of skewered chicken, this recipe can also be made with chicken breasts or thighs (not cut into pieces). If using bone-in chicken pieces, I suggest doubling the marinade.
- If you don’t have a grill, broil the chicken in the oven for 9-12 minutes, turning once.
- Instead of grating ginger and garlic, you can use the mini frozen cubes as seen in our “Make My Life Easier in the Kitchen” Tips.
- Substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder for the fresh garlic.
- Blend the marinade with a whisk instead of a blender or food processor.
- The recipe can be made ahead for a crowd and served at room temperature.
This recipe was adapted from the original recipe by Jennifer Segal at Once Upon a Chef. Thank you!
Spicy Honey-Lime Chicken Recipe
- 2.5 lb boneless skinless thighs (or breasts), trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro; lime wedges
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp honey (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tsp zest from one lime
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1 1/2 to 2 limes)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (about 1 1/2 inch square piece)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (or more or less to taste)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- MAKE MARINADE/SAUCE: Blend all marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender (or just use a whisk).
- MARINATE CHICKEN: Reserve 1/2 cup of marinade to use for basting and sauce. (Optional: Mix 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch into reserved marinade and microwave for 1 minute to make a glaze-like consistency. I do this) Set aside. Pour the rest of the marinade and the chicken in a sealed zipper bag. Let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes on the counter or 6 hours or overnight in fridge.
- GRILL CHICKEN SKEWERS: Spray grill with oil spray and heat grill to medium-high.Skewer chicken pieces onto metal skewers and pat dry. Discard the marinade used for marinating. If using wood skewers, soak them for 30 minutes beforehand to avoid burning. I also lightly spray chicken directly to avoid sticking. Grill chicken on all sides until golden brown, for 9-12 minutes in total, basting once or twice with the honey lime sauce. Note 1.
- SERVE: With any leftover sauce, drizzle on the cooked chicken or warm it in the microwave and pass separately. Sprinkle chicken with cilantro and serve with lime wedges if desired.
- No grill? Instead, chicken can be BROILED in the oven, turning once, for 9-12 minutes.
- Alternatives to skewered chicken: This recipe can also be made with chicken breasts or thighs (not cut into pieces). If using bone-in chicken pieces, I suggest doubling the marinade.
Other grilled chicken recipes you might like: