Fresh, sweet, slightly charred corn – paired with lime, cilantro, sriracha and chives – make this bold-flavored grilled corn salad a perfect summer side.Grilled corn salad is a perfect summer side for any picnic, potluck, buffet, dinner or lunch bag. The slight crunchiness and charred taste of the fresh corn is the star, but the lime, sriracha, cilantro and other add-ins elevate the dish even more. To me, the lime is a perfect contrast to the sweetness of the corn. My friend Fran and her son, Daniel created the recipe and it’s really good – and not just in my opinion. Our friends at a recent potluck I hosted raved as well.
The recipe is a guideline, so feel free to adjust the ingredients to your taste. Try to get really fresh local corn if you can – it’s worth it.
Only 20 minutes to put together (not including sitting time) is a big plus. And it’s pretty to look. I like serving this vegetarian side with Sous Vide Glazed Flank Steak, Glazed Pork Chops and Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Wings.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Add other grilled vegetables such as zucchini or onion if you like.
- Substitute parsley for the cilantro.
- Use half a seeded jalapeno pepper instead of the sriracha.
- Use frozen corn niblets (cooked) and roasted red peppers from the jar. You won’t get the charred flavors, but you will save a chunk of time.
Make Ahead Grilled Corn salad
- You can make the corn salad a day ahead. In fact, the extra sitting time gives the flavors time to blend. I suggest adding the avocado, if using, at the last minute though.
Grilled Corn Salad Recipe
- 4 corn on the cob, husks (leaves) removed
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 ripe, but firm avocado, peeled and diced (use the whole avocado if you like)
- 2 tbsp minced chives or green onions
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro or more, to taste
- 1 lime (about 2 tbsp juice plus 1 tsp zest)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sriracha hot sauce (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- GRILL AND PREP CORN AND PEPPER: Heat grill to medium high. Grill corn until lightly browned (with a few char bits) on all sides, 8-10 minutes total. Grill whole pepper at the same time, charring the outside. Wrap the pepper in paper or a bag. This will make peeling the skin easier. Let cool for easier handling if you have time. Otherwise, use a paper towel to protect your fingers. Using a sharp knife, stand up each corn and slide the knife down each side to cut off the kernels. This takes about 7 seconds per corn. Peel and dice the red pepper.
- MAKE LIME VINAIGRETTE: In a small cup, whisk all lime vinaigrette ingredients together.
- ASSEMBLE: Place corn, pepper, avocado, chives and cilantro in a medium bowl. Pour on vinaigrette. Gently mix everything together. Taste and adjust seasonings until you're happy with it. Let the salad sit for awhile at room temperature or in the fridge to let the flavors blend (if you have time).
Other summer salads you might like: