Sweet potato curry soup topped with Parmesan cheese makes a hearty, healthy satisfying starter or meal, packed with nutrition.
Robust, rich and spicy.
Jenna, my Kook partner/daughter, loves this soup. I made it for her one day when she surprised us with a visit near lunchtime. I foraged around in my fridge and cupboards and came up with what turned out to be this soup. Her first comment was “delicious, you need to post this!”. So I made the soup again the next day and turned it into this recipe.
The soup is super healthy and low calorie. You may have noticed that it looks green. That’s because I use a ton of nutritious baby spinach. You can reduce the amount if you prefer.
The great thing about this sweet potato curry soup is that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. And it’s substantial enough for a whole meal along with some bread, croutons or Parmesan toast.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use alternative vegetables such as cauliflower, zucchini, celery.
- Add a squeeze of lemon before serving.
- Add fresh or dried herbs like thyme or rosemary.
- After pureeing, add a splash of cream (about 1/4 cup or so) to make a creamier, more mellow soup. Or, for a dairy free version, add coconut milk instead.
- Vary the ‘heat’ by using more or less chili flakes.
- Save half the time: Instead of chopping with a knife, pulse potato and vegetable chunks altogether in a food processor into very small pieces. This will also save about half the time simmering.
- Leave the soup chunky and skip the puree step.
- Use matchstick carrots purchased in the store and/or pre-chopped frozen onions.
- Substitute fresh garlic with frozen garlic cubes or minced garlic in the jar.
- Serve with store-bought garlic bread.
- Needless to say, you can make this soup ahead. It keeps well in the fridge for several days.
Other hearty vegetarian soup recipes
- curried lentil soup (instant pot)
- root vegetable soup
- hearty ratatouille soup
- red lentil soup recipe with vegetables (one of our most popular recipes)
- homemade creamy tomato soup with parmesan croutons
Steps to make sweet potato curry soup
Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cut into small pieces (1/2 inch)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced (or 3 tsp if you like)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (pretty spicy)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4-5 cups baby spinach use less if you don't want the color so green
- GARNISH: Parmesan cheese, grated
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: Heat oil in large pot on medium high. Add sweet potato, onions, peppers and carrots. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir for a minute. Mix in all seasonings and cook another minute.
- SIMMER SOUP: Add broth. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in spinach and cook for a minute until wilted.
- FINISH AND SERVE: Using an immersion blender (or blender), puree the soup to the level of smoothness you prefer. (I like to leave some small pieces in the soup for texture, but it's up to you). Taste and adjust seasonings. If too thick, add a bit more broth or some cream. Ladle into bowls and, if desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, croutons or bread toasted with Parmesan cheese on top.