Veal Stew with Wine, Zest and Thyme
This veal stew, made with wine, lemon zest and thyme, is rich, flavourful and full-bodied. Perfect for a weeknight meal, company, potluck or leftovers.
Servings (change as needed): 3
- 1 1/2 pound veal stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 spanish onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- chicken broth, up to 1 cup as needed enough to cover veal and vegetables
- 1 cup (rounded) diced canned tomatoes with little to no juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- zest, grated from 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste (and pinch of sugar if needed)
SAUTE VEAL: Put flour, salt and pepper into a plastic bag. Add veal and shake to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in saucepan to medium high. Add veal and brown on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Remove veal to a plate.
SAUTE VEGETABLES: Add another tablespoon of oil to pan. Add onions and carrots. Saute until softened and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic. Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
COOK STEW: Add wine and boil until almost completely evaporated. Add diced canned tomatoes, veal, thyme and capers (if using). Make sure the liquid reaches just to the top of the meat and vegetables. (add a bit more tomatoes or chicken broth as needed). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until veal is very tender.
FINISH STEW AND SERVE: Stir in lemon zest and parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper and extra thyme as needed. Add a pinch of sugar if needed as well. Ladle into serving bowls and serve with crusty bread and a salad on the side. Or serve over noodles, rice, polenta or mashed potatoes.
Make Ahead: The stew can be made 4-5 days ahead, stored in a sealed container and warmed up gently on the stove.
Nutrition values are for 3 generous servings. They will be lower if you serve 4 people.
Calories: 563kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 603mg | Potassium: 1101mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7335IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 4mg