Thai Shrimp Curry
Thai shrimp curry is made in one pot in under 30 minutes. Tender succulent shrimp and vegetables in a spicy, rich coconut green curry sauce. The Thai curry is delicious served over jasmine rice to soak up the sauce.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or peanut oil or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion about 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (or 3 tablespoons if you like it really hot)
- 14 ounces full-fat coconut milk, unsweetened (1 can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white or brown sugar or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (from 2 limes) or 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds (0.68 kilograms) large or medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined Shortcut: buy peeled and deveined shrimp
- Garnish: 1/4 cup (4 grams) chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley), Thai basil and/or lime wedges.
Vegetables (Note 1)
- 1 cup red peppers, thinly sliced (1-2 peppers)
- 1 carrot, grated or cut into matchsticks (about 1/2 cup/45 grams)
- 2 cups enoki mushrooms (bottom 2 inches cut off)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
SAUTE AROMATICS: In a large skillet, heat oil to medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and curry paste and continue to cook for 1 minute.
START SAUCE AND VEGETABLES: Add coconut milk, water, red pepper, carrots, fish sauce (if using), sugar and lime zest. Gently simmer for about 3 minutes.
COMPLETE THAI SHRIMP CURRY: Add spinach, mushrooms, green onions and shrimp. Stir to combine. Cover and gently simmer 3-4 minutes (depending on size of shrimp) until shrimp turn pink. Don't overcook shrimp or they will become rubbery.
GARNISH AND SERVE: Garnish with cilantro (or parsley) and lime wedges or a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with white rice, brown rice or rice noodles.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Vegetables: other options are bok choy, snow peas, broccoli, green beans, edamame beans, mushrooms, bean sprouts. Use about 3.5 - 4 cups (500-600g) chopped vegetables, not including the spinach. Add sliced water chestnuts for crunch at the end if you like.
- Other substitutes:
- Instead of store-bought green curry paste, make your own homemade curry paste - 3 Minute Green Curry Paste. You can use red curry paste instead, if you don't have green.
- For a vegetarian version, add more vegetables or tofu and omit the shrimp. One great option is to add 1/2 inch/1.27cm cubes of butternut squash. Simmer them for 10-15 minutes in the coconut broth.
- Instead of shrimp, use chopped cooked chicken instead and just heat through in the last step.
- Make Ahead: You can complete the dish all the way up to the last 5 minutes when the last few ingredients, including the shrimp, are simmered. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Warm in the microwave on medium so the shrimp don't get rubbery.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 214mg | Sodium: 1010mg | Potassium: 837mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7440IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 5mg