Thai curried shrimp and vegetables is made in one pot in under 30 minutes. Tender plump shrimp and vegetables in a spicy, rich coconut curry sauce.
Although the list of ingredients seems long, this dish is very simple to prepare. The trick is to have everything prepped and ready to go right by the skillet. Then it’s just a matter of adding ingredients step by step. The curry is delicious served with jasmine rice to soak up the sauce.
The coconut milk makes the dish rich and creamy even though it’s dairy (and lactose) free. The vegetables are completely versatile. And the curry is as hot and spicy as you want to make it. The recipe is quite hot (for me) but many would call me a wimp when it comes to spiciness, including Jenna, the other kook. So taste and adjust as you like.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Make a vegetarian version by adding more vegetables or tofu and omitting the shrimp. One great option is to add 1/2 inch cubes of butternut squash. Simmer them for 10-15 minutes in the coconut broth.
- Consider using other vegetables such as snow peas, broccoli, mini bok choy, green beans.
- Substitute cooked chicken for the shrimp.
- If you want to step it up a notch, you can make your own simple 3 Minute Green Curry Paste. The hardest part is gathering the ingredients. I suggest making double and freezing half.
Make Ahead Thai Curried Shrimp
- If you’re making this for company – and it’s definitely company-worthy – you can complete the dish all the way up to the last 5 minutes when the last few ingredients, including the shrimp, are simmered.
Thai Curried Shrimp and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp thai green curry paste (or 3-4 tbsp if you like it really hot)
- 1 14-ounce can Coconut Milk (for cooking, not desserts)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lime zest (from 2 limes) or 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup red pepper, thinly sliced (1-2 peppers)
- 1 carrot, grated or cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups enoki mushrooms (bottom 2 inches cut off)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- SAUTE AROMATICS: In a large skillet, heat oil to medium. Add onion and saute for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and curry paste and continue to cook for a minute.
- START SAUCE AND VEGETABLES: Add coconut milk, water, red pepper, carrot and lime zest. Gently simmer for about 3 minutes.
- COMPLETE SHRIMP VEGETABLE CURRY: Add spinach, mushrooms, green onions and shrimp. Stir to combine. Cover and gentle simmer about 4 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Don't overcook shrimp or they will become rubbery.
- GARNISH AND SERVE: Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with jasmine or other rice.
Other Thai-style dishes you might like:
Thai-inspired Butternut Squash Soup get the recipe
Thai-inspired Marinated Grilled Chicken get the recipe
Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup Thai-Style get the recipe