Next time you’re making a curry recipe, take the extra 3 minutes to make this fresh, vibrant, bursting-with-flavor vegetarian Thai green curry paste recipe. It’s worth it.
Don’t get me wrong, I use store bought green curry paste too, but when I want to add that extra zing, I make the paste from scratch. It only takes a few minutes (not counting buying all the ingredients) and the fresh ingredients add a ton of brightness to the dish. The other advantage is that you can create the balance of flavors the way you like them by varying the sweetness, lime, heat, garlic, etc.
I got this recipe when I attended a class with Chef Leanne Rabinowitz at Maplehern Cooking School in Toronto. When I tasted our end product, I was hooked. I’ve been using it ever since. We made a Thai Green Vegetable Curry that day and since then I’ve made many successful variations. In other words, this paste can be used in any recipe where curry paste is used like soups, stir fries, chowders and curries.
Tips for Success
- Make a double or triple batch and freeze what you don’t need. This is useful since you’ll likely have leftover ingredients. You can’t buy 4 kaffir leaves for example.
- Be careful when removing the seeds for chili peppers. Wash your hands well and don’t touch your face or eyes!
Scroll down to see a few of Two Kooks in The Kitchen recipes that use green curry paste.
Vegetarian Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe (3 min)
- 1 green chili peppers (e.g. jalapeno or serrano), cored, seeds removed
- 4 green onions, chopped in 3-4 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1-2 limes, juice and zest (start with 1)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- MAKE GREEN CURRY PASTE: Put all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add a touch more oil if too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed (more salt, sugar, lime, etc).
Here’s a couple of Two Kooks recipes that use Thai Green Curry Paste: