Next time you’re grilling some steaks or your favorite protein, try this super easy two-in-one side dish of Grilled Vegetable and Potato Hash. Dinner in a flash with whatever veggies you like best.
This could just as easily be a have-to-get-rid-of-some-vegetables-before-they-go-bad recipe and a use-up-leftover potatoes recipe. Just coat veggies in some oil and seasonings, throw them in a grilling basket, grill for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice and that’s it. I love that I have all my sides in one healthy dish.
I follow the steps, set the veggies to one side of the grill, then BBQ a steak, sweet and spicy salmon or marinated pork chops and serve. Dinner in under 30 minutes. I use boiled baby potatoes or a microwaved, peeled large sweet potato.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Choose whatever vegetables you like, but I always use a potato and onion as the base. Great veggies to use are mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, zucchini, green beans, snap peas.
- Throw in some chopped apples.
- Vary the seasonings.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme or parsley before serving.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction before serving.
Tips for Grilled Vegetable and Potato Hash
- Don’t overcrowd the grilling basket or the veggies could get mushy and not char as well.
- If you use bulkier vegetables, increase the oil and seasonings a bit.
- The potato hash can easily be made ahead and rewarmed in a 375F oven or the grill. Green vegetables, however, may not maintain their vibrant color.
Grilled Vegetable and Potato Hash Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 0.5 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 0.25 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked white or sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces (boil or cook in microwave) (boil or cook in microwave)
- 1 cup red or white onion, chopped
- 5 cup vegetables, chopped (e.g. asparagus, snap peas, peppers, peppers, mushrooms, etc)
- Preheat BBQ grill to high (500F). Spray a grilling basket (metal pan/basket with holes) with oil.
- DRESS VEGETABLES: In a large bowl, mix together all seasonings and oil. Add all cut vegetables and toss to coat.
- GRILL VEGETABLES: Put dressed vegetables into grilling basket. Place on BBQ grill. Grill for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice part way through until char marks start to appear. [NOTE: if desired, place veggies to the side and grill steak or chops to serve with vegetables]. Transfer to platter and serve.
Here’s a skillet-based hash you might like to try: