Making things from scratch isn’t for everyone, especially during the week when we all tend to be busier. I love trying out new pre-made sauces/packages and making them my own. Green Curry Vegetables – ready in 20 minutes. Delish!
This recipe can be adapted with any vegetables you have in your fridge and served on its own, on top of noodles, quinoa or rice…whatever you have on hand. And of course, this would make a great side dish too.
I based this recipe very loosely on the recipe provided on the back of the package of the Kanokwan Green Curry Paste. I purchased the product from T&T Grocery Store, a predominantly Asian grocery store in Toronto/GTA.
The dish was creamy, flavorful, spicy and filling. The coconut milk, a non-dairy product, adds a subtle mellow (not overpowering) coconut flavor.
I added cayenne pepper as my husband and I love heat, but for those of you who don’t want to pant while you eat, I highly recommend keeping that ingredient out as the curry paste already is quite spicy.
Tailor To Your Taste
- You can turn this into a non-vegetarian dish by adding left over cooked chicken, shrimp or beef when you add the vegetables to the curry.
- Alternatively if you are vegetarian and looking for some protein, add some cubes of firm tofu when cooking the mushrooms.
Substitute for Green Curry Vegetables
- Use any pre-made good quality green curry paste or make your own – here’s our 3 Minute Thai Green Curry Paste recipe.
Coconut Green Curry Vegetables
- 1 tbsp vegetable Oil
- 1 red Pepper, cut into 1/2" wide strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin slices
- 4 oz Shitaki Mushrooms, sliced (about 8 mushrooms)
- 1 broccoli Head, cut into florets
- 6-8 Baby Bok Choy, cut into quarters lengthwise (or halves if very small)
- 1 can Coconut Milk (400ml/13.5 oz) - regular or lite
- 1 package Kanokwan Green Curry Paste (or 1 tablespoon green curry paste)
- 1 tsp ground Coriander seed
- 1 pinch Cayenne (optional...this dish is already spicy!)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: Heat oil in a medium wok or frying pan to medium high. Add peppers, mushrooms and onions. Saute for 4 minutes until softened.
- ADD COCONUT, CURRY AND OTHER VEGETABLES: Pour in coconut milk. Add Kanokwan Green Curry Paste with 1/4 cup water (or other pre-made curry paste) - and cayenne if using. Stir until smooth. Cook for a few minutes. Add broccoli and bok choy. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and lower heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender but still have a bit of crunch, stirring once or twice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- SERVE: Serve immediately over noodles (preferably Asian like ramen) or steamed rice.
Other Thai recipes you might like: