Melted Olive Cheese Appetizers are a fabulous, quick and easy “can I have the recipe?” recipe.
When I was my daughter Jenna’s age living in Montreal, a nutritionist brought these Melted Olive Cheese appetizers to a work party.
Well….we all inhaled them and promptly asked for the recipe. Now I am asked for the recipe which of course I give out, but I have to admit I’m slightly embarrassed by how easy and basic they are.
Not upscale, not fancy, not foodie-esque. Just super tasty. I’m a big sucker for fast, easy, good and pretty on the plate. This appetizer is all four. I even use pre-shredded cheese sometimes (finely shredded works best, but all are fine).
These vegetarian melted olive cheeses appetizers are perfect for making ahead – great for the holidays and brunch. The blend of salty tangy olives with the cheddar, onions and curry works really well. Even non-olive lovers love these apps.
Serving Idea: They are technically appetizers, but you can also serve them with a hearty soup (for example, vegetarian pea soup or butternut apple squash soup) instead of a side of bread for a great weeknight meal. In this case, you can leave the muffin halves whole instead of cutting them into quarters.
Tailor To Your Taste
- The English muffins are an easy foundation for these appetizers, but you can use other breads such as ciabatta or french bread as the base instead.
- Vary the cheese – Cheddar, Emmental, Fontina, Gruyere
- Use a food processor to blend the olive cheese mixture together (and hide the olives if you have fussy eaters)
- Use pre-shredded cheese.
Make Ahead Olive Cheese Appetizers
- Just flash freeze the unbaked pieces for 45 minutes, pile them into a freezer bag and freeze them for up to a month. Pull them out and bake as many as you need for a last minute appetizer. No need to defrost.
Be sure to check out our 20 vegetarian appetizers (with serving tips).
Melted Olive Cheese Appetizers Recipe
- 1 cup chopped pitted olives (I use black)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (green and white part)
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I use white) or emmental
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt to taste (don't use if olives are very salty)
- 8 English muffins, halved
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- PREPARE OLIVE-CHEESE MIXTURE: Place all ingredients in a bowl (except muffins) and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- ASSEMBLE: Divide mixture onto the 16 muffin halves and spread evenly to cover. Cut each muffin half into 4 quarters to make 64 pieces in all. To freeze (Note 1)
- BAKE: Lay appetizer pieces on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Best served hot, but also good at room temperature.
- To freeze (before baking): Place pieces on a baking sheet and put in freezer for 45 minutes until frozen. Pile pieces into a ziploc bag, then put back in freezer to use when needed. No need to defrost before baking.
Other quick and easy vegetarian appetizers you might like:
Mini Caprese Appetizers get the recipe
Dumpling Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce (shortcut) get the recipe
Loaded Endive Ricotta Appetizers get the recipe