Healthy Pesto Pasta With Vegetables
Pesto pasta with vegetables is a simple, healthy side or main dish made with pasta, pesto, spinach, green beans and tomatoes. Packed with flavor and ready in 20 minutes.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 cup orzo
- large handful green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cup baby spinach or kale, roughly chopped
- 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tablespoon pesto, bought or homemade (Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tbsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: splash of lemon or lime juice
- Garnish: goat cheese and/or Parmesan cheese
BOIL ORZO AND GREEN BEANS: In a medium pot, bring water with a tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add orzo and boil for 5 minutes. Add green beans. Continue boiling for about 5 more minutes until orzo is soft and beans are tender, but both should still have a bit of 'bite' (al dente). Drain well, then add back to pot.
FINISH THE DISH: Add chopped spinach to orzo in pot and toss well until slightly wilted. Add tomatoes, pesto and enough oil to achieve the consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And mix in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice if you like. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with goat cheese and/or Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include garnishes.
- Pesto: Use any pesto you like or our Classic Basil Pesto recipe: Process in food processor until smooth: 1 cup packed Basil leaves, 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1/4 olive oil. (makes 1/2 cup)
- Make Ahead: Great served at room temperature. Or make ahead then rewarm for a couple of minutes in the microwave. If you prefer, add the cheese after it has been warmed.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 422mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2740IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg