If you are looking for a low carb, satisfying vegetarian side dish, Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry is a great way to go. And it’s super healthy with cauliflower, carrots, spinach and beets.
I love the colors in this simple vegetable dish. The deep purple beets against the bright white-orange-green medley – lovely!
Cauliflower ‘rice’ is not new. Anyone on a low carb diet knows that. I forgot, though, how easy it is to make and how you don’t really miss the actual rice. Fake rice! Why not?
I paired the cauliflower rice stir fry with carrots mostly for color. The spinach adds even more color and a ton of health benefits too. I used a simple garlic-butter-lemon sauce to boost the flavor. Or if you prefer, use olive oil instead for a vinaigrette dressing. (I like butter with cauliflower).
With the exception of the earthy beets, all the vegetables in this dish – cauliflower, spinach and carrots – are pretty bland which makes them a perfect palette for any kind of flavor profile you want to create.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Change the flavor profile with with a different dressing or seasonings such as honey-mustard, Indian seasonings, peanut sauce or Tahini sauce
- Add red pepper for even more color or some dried red chili flakes for heat.
- Try some nuts and/or dried cranberries for texture
Shortcuts for Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
- Buy cauliflower rice (cauliflower rice that has already been processed into ‘rice’). Some groceries sell it fresh or frozen.
- Buy packaged roasted beets.
Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
- 1 head of cauliflower florets, core and stems removed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 4 cup fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon butter or olive oil (or combination)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (1/3-1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beet, roasted or boiled and peeled, cut into thin julienne slices
- 'RICE' CAULIFLOWER AND CARROTS: Place cauliflower florets and carrots in a food processor. Pulse about 10 times (or more if needed) until they resemble rice. You may have to do this in two batches, depending on size of processor.
- STEAM CAULIFLOWER RICE: Place 'rice' in a frying pan or wok. Add a tablespoon or two of water and heat to medium. Cover and steam for 4-6 minutes or until al dente (not too soft). Uncover and stir fry another minute while stirring to eliminate any accumulated water.
- MAKE SEASONED DRESSING: Make dressing while cauliflower is steaming. If using butter, melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds. If using oil, place oil in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add garlic, green onions, salt, pepper, lemon juice and stir to combine.
- ADD SPINACH: Add chopped fresh spinach to cauliflower rice and stir to combine. Spinach will wilt in a minute or two.
- FINISH THE DISH: Pour in dressing and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add a pile of beets on top (or mix them in) and serve.