One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
Make a delicious family dinner with this One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetable recipe. Succulent chicken with your favourite roast veggies. Pure comfort food!
Servings (change as needed): 4
Vegetables, Note 1
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2 inch/5 cm pieces about 1 large
- 1 pound Yukon or red potatoes, washed, cut into 1 1/2 inch/3.8 cm pieces about 2 potatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion (or red onion), peeled, cut in 2 inch/5 cm pieces
- 15 brussels sprouts, outer leaves off, cut in half or other veggies you like, Note 2
Seasoning mixture for vegetables
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon -2 dried thyme, rosemary or oregano
- zest of one lemon optional
For Chicken, Note 2
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken - see note 2 3 1/2 - 4 pounds, (I get a kosher one as it's already brined).
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (use a bit more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
HEAT OVEN to 425F/218C. Line a large sheet pan (rimmed baking sheet) with aluminum foil, sprayed well with oil spray for easy cleanup. You can also use parchment paper instead, but it may get soggy.
PREPARE VEGETABLES: Place all vegetables and seasoning mixture ingredients in a large large bowl. Toss to mix evenly. Spoon vegetables onto prepared pan in a single layer.
PREPARE CHICKEN: Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Mix olive oil, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over chicken, including under skin (lift it gently so it doesn't tear). Place chicken skin-side up (or breast side up if using a whole chicken) on top of the vegetables.
ROAST CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES: Place pan with chicken and vegetables in oven. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken breast reads 160F.° For whole chicken, roast about 55-75 minutes, depending on size of chicken. °For chicken pieces, roast about 30-40 minutes, depending on size of pieces.Transfer chicken to cutting board and cover loosely with foil to let it rest for 20 minutes. Stir vegetables and return to oven for another 10-20 minutes. If you're impatient (like me), increase oven temperature to 450F/232C to finish off the veggies. If desired, make a gravy for chicken, Note 4.
FINISH AND SERVE: Cut chicken into 4-8 pieces if using a whole chicken. Transfer vegetables and chicken to a platter and serve with gravy or other condiment - Note 5.
Nutrition values are estimates and include chicken and vegetables (not gravy or condiments).
- Vegetable options
- If you prefer veggies that hold their shape well, choose harder ones such as regular potatoes (Yukon gold or red), sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, onions, parsnips, carrots, celery, green beans.
- If you don't mind your veggies getting very soft, good options are red bell peppers, cauliflower, eggplant, butternut squash. Or, add quick cooking veggies like asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower when you return the veggies to the oven for additional roasting while the chicken is resting.
- Chicken options
- Any kind of bone-in chicken will work with this recipe. You just have to adjust the cook time.
- I tend to buy kosher chickens as they are already brined which makes them juicier and more flavorful.
- Use all dark meat or light meat if you prefer.
- For a whole chicken, remove giblets and tie legs together
- For chicken pieces, trim excess fat, but leave skin on.
- Seasoning options
- Feel free to change the flavors with a Moroccan, Indian, Mexican or Italian seasoning blend.
- To make a quick chicken gravy: Put 2 tablespoons oil in small saucepan. Heat to medium heat. Add flour, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and stir for 2 minutes until very light brown (don't let it get dark). Add 2 cups chicken broth (I used canned Campbell's chicken broth - the full can plus a bit of water) and stir until smooth. Continue cooking for a few minutes until thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more thyme, a dash of garlic or onion powder salt, pepper as desired. Add more broth if needed to desired consistency.
- Condiments options (to serve instead of or with gravy):
Calories: 704kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 1318mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 10133IU | Vitamin C: 130mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 5mg