Make a delicious family dinner with this One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables recipe. Succulent chicken with your favourite roast veggies. Pure comfort food!
You just can’t go wrong with a simple roast chicken with all those yummy vegetables infused with the chicken juices. Pretty close to a perfect Fall or Winter meal in my book. And all in one pan – even better. I like to serve it with a quick chicken gravy that I make in 5 minutes or our Cranberry Orange Relish in 5 Minutes (which I happened to have left over after Thanksgiving), Homemade Chunky Applesauce or Savoury Peach Sauce.
There’s no need to use precise measurements for this recipe. The roast chicken and vegetables recipe is just a guideline, including which vegetables and seasonings to use. Keep in mind that the vegetables don’t get crispy in this recipe because of the juices and steam from the chicken. They are nevertheless amazing, soft and flavorful. One caution – brussel sprouts can be bitter so you may want to use a different vegetable, or try microwaving them for about 90 seconds with a bit of sugar before you add them to the pan.
Tailor to your Taste and Time
- Other vegetables that work well for roasting include: parsnips, carrots, celery, eggplant, green beans, butternut squash. If you don’t like soft vegetables, stick with potatoes, onions, parsnips, carrots and celery. Or, add other ones half way through the roasting so they don’t become too soft. I love them soft so I don’t bother!
- Feel free to just use potatoes and onions or any one or two vegetables to cut down on prep time.
- Vary the herbs with fresh or dried oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage or a combination.
- You can also use chicken pieces in this recipe, but cut the cooking time to about 35-45 minutes. Then put your vegetables back in the oven for an additional 20 minutes or so while keeping the chicken warm on the counter covered in foil.
Make Ahead Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- This dish can be made ahead to the point of roasting. It’s best to bring the chicken to room temperature for half an hour before roasting.
One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato (1 pound), peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 yukon or red potatoes (1 pound), washed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cored and seeded, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 15-20 brussel sprouts, outer leaves off, cut in half
- 1/2 large onion, peeled, cut in 1-2 inch pieces
- zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano. thyme or rosemary (or 1 tbsp. dried)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves) or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole chicken 3 1/2 - 4 pounds, giblets removed, legs tied together (I get a kosher one as it's already brined).
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- PREPARE VEGETABLES: Place all vegetables, seasonings, herbs, lemon zest and oil in a large bowl. Toss to mix evenly. Pour vegetables onto a large pan with sides that is lined with foil and sprayed WELL with oil (important so they don't stick).
- PREPARE CHICKEN: Pat chicken inside and out with a paper towel. Mix Dijon, oil, paprika and thyme in a small bowl. Rub mixture inside and outside chicken, including under breast skin (lift it gently so it doesn't tear). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of vegetables.
- ROAST CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES: Place pan with vegetables in oven. Roast until instant thermometer inserted in chicken breast reads 160F, about 55-75 minutes, depending on size of chicken. Transfer chicken to cutting board and tent with foil to let it rest for 20 minutes. Stir vegetables and return to oven for another 10-20 minutes. If desired, make a gravy or sauce for chicken.
- FINISH AND SERVE: Cut chicken into 4-8 pieces. Transfer vegetables and chicken to a platter and serve with gravy, savoury peach sauce, cranberry sauce, or chunky apple sauce.
Here are two other one skillet chicken dinners you might enjoy:
One Skillet Chicken and Vegetables (get the recipe)
One Skillet Chicken and Spinach Mushroom Orzo (get the recipe)