This sweet and tangy cranberry orange relish recipe is fast and easy with only 3 ingredients. A perfect accompaniment for turkey, chicken or pork. No cooking needed.
The relish takes just a few more minutes to make than opening a can of jellied cranberry sauce. And it tastes WAY better. Well, at least I think so 🙂 It’s fresh and has a wonderful sweet-tart taste that makes it a great condiment with many proteins.
I’ve been using this recipe for eons for our annual Canadian and American Thanksgiving dinners. Every bite of turkey, smothered in gravy is brightened with a dab of this fresh cranberry orange relish. It adds a great little zing.
With only 3 ingredients, the recipe takes about 5 minutes to make in a food processor. Start with a bag of fresh cranberries (frozen are fine too), add an orange – yes, a whole one peel and all – and sugar to taste. Process for a minute or two. Done! How easy is that.
Ways to use fresh cranberry orange relish
- Well, with turkey of course – like Grilled Turkey Breast or Sous Vide Turkey Breast.
- And it’s also great with pork chops or pork tenderloin and marinated grilled chicken.
Tailor To Your Taste
- The pith or white part of the orange underneath the skin can be quite bitter. I suggest removing most of the pith before processing the relish if the orange has a lot of it.
- Try adding a bit of cinnamon to the relish.
- You can substitute the sugar with brown sugar or maple syrup.
Make Ahead Cranberry Orange Relish
- Make it early in the day to let the flavors blend if you have time, but don’t worry if you have to do it at the last minute. It still tastes great.
- It freezes well or can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.
Other great condiments you might like
Cranberry Orange Relish Recipe (5 minutes)
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (or frozen thawed) - 1 package
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup sugar or to taste
- PREPARE THE FRUIT: Rinse cranberries in a mesh strainer and pat dry. Wash orange. Cut in quarters. You will be using the whole orange, including the peel. If the white pith around the orange is thick, cut off most of it (it's bitter).
- MAKE THE RELISH: Place cranberries, orange and half the sugar in the processor. Process for a minute or two. Taste for sweetness. Add more sugar to taste. Process for a few more seconds. Pour into a serving dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. If you have time, let it sit overnight or for a few hours to let the flavors blend (but this is not absolutely necessary). Serve cold or at room temperature. Makes about 3 cups