Homemade vegetarian stovetop stuffing is a nice change from a potatoes. Quick, loaded with healthy veggies and way better than the store-bought packaged version.
There’s no reason to wait for Thanksgiving when you can whip up this stovetop stuffing in about 20 minutes for a simple weeknight side with chicken, pork, fish or vegetarian mains.
It’s easy and completely adaptable to whatever you have on hand. Measuring doesn’t matter in this recipe. Just taste and adjust.
This homemade stovetop stuffing recipe is essentially an unbaked version of a typical stuffing recipe that doesn’t use an egg as a binder. The only difference is that the stuffing doesn’t brown on top.
I like to use a high ratio of vegetables to bread (less carbs and healthier) so for 3-4 people, you’re only consuming 4-5 slices of bread.
Pure comfort food.
Tailor To Your Taste
- What bread to use? Almost any bread is fine. I used multigrain in some of the pictures, Challah in others. In a pinch, I’ve even used leftover hamburger buns.
- Vary the vegetables with whatever you have
- Add some raisins or nuts or chopped canned chestnuts for crunch.
- Use packaged toasted bread cubes instead of making your own.
- Buy pre-chopped vegetables and just give them a finer chop if necessary.
Make Ahead vegetarian stovetop stuffing
- Make the recipe and place in the fridge, covered (if making for the next day). To reheat, put it in the microwave covered until hot – about 1-2 minutes.
Other stuffing recipes you might like
Chopped onions and veggies, garlic, parsley, broth, apple, bread, salt, thyme and pepper
Toast bread slices and cut or rip them into small pieces.
Saute veggies like onions, celery and peppers.
Add seasonings and apples if using.
Combine with bread cubes and moisten with broth.
Vegetarian Stovetop Stuffing
- 4-5 slices bread (to make about 3 cups bread cubes)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 apple, cored and diced (no need to peel)
- 3/4 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2-3/4 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- MAKE BREAD CUBES: Toast bread to golden brown. Cut or rip into 1/2 inch pieces/cubes.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: While bread is toasting, heat butter on medium in a skillet or non stick wok. Add onion, celery, garlic and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add diced apple, poultry seasonings and thyme and saute another 2 minutes.
- FINISH STOVETOP STUFFING: Add bread cubes and parsley. Mix in 1/2 cup broth to moisten. Add more broth if needed to the consistency you like (more if you like stuffing moist, less if you like it drier). Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Lower heat to low, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow bread cubes to absorb flavors. Stir and serve.