You won’t miss the bread in this delicious, super healthy, Vegetable Quinoa Stuffing. It’s a great alternative to a traditional stuffing or any side dish. And ready in only 30 minutes.
I was looking for a stuffing recipe or side dish for a Passover seder, ready to buy some matzo farfel or matzo meal as the foundation. Suddenly I remembered that quinoa is now acceptable during Passover since it is not actually a grain (much to my surprise). A recent discovery for me.
So I decided to try a quinoa stuffing (or quinoa dressing as some call it). It turned out great! I loaded it with vegetables, including diced sweet potatoes, so it’s really healthy and filling enough to be served as a main dish for a vegetarian (like my daughter, the other kook).
I used the same seasonings used in most stuffing recipes – thyme and sage – and served it with sliced roast chicken and gravy. Delish! This stuffing would also be a perfect accompaniment to t sous vide turkey breast, herb stuffed salmon or grilled pork tenderloin.
I will definitely be making this quinoa stuffing again. There are many variations you could try – I’ve listed a few below.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use butternut squash instead of sweet potato
- Great additions
- 1-2 cups chopped mushrooms
- raisins, chopped dates or prunes
- diced fresh apple or mango – add just before serving
- Add some crunch with chopped canned water chestnuts
- For a non vegetarian version and smokey flavor, add diced hot dog or sausage while sauteing the vegetables
- Substitute the sage and thyme with 1-2 teaspoons curry powder.
- To save time chopping and dicing, pulse vegetables in the food processor a few times.
Make Ahead Quinoa Stuffing
- This recipe can be made ahead – or taken for potluck – and warmed in the oven in a covered dish (at 350F for about 10-15 minutes) or in the microwave. Leave out nuts if using and add them just before serving.
Vegetable Quinoa Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 2 red peppers, cored and diced (2 cups)
- 1 onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2-3 cups chopped fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 tsp EACH: salt, thyme, sage (or poultry seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup coursely chopped nuts (optional)
- MAKE QUINOA: Place rinsed quinoa, salt and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: While quinoa is cooking, in a large skillet, heat oil to medium high. Saute onion, sweet potatoes, celery, peppers for about 10-12 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add spinach, garlic and seasonings. Cook, stirring for another 2 minutes until spinach has wilted.
- FINISH STUFFING: Add quinoa and toss to combine well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add a bit more oil if needed. Sprinkle nuts if using and serve immediately.
If you make this quinoa stuffing, feel free to rate in the recipe about (using the start above “rate this recipe”) and leave a comment if you like below. We’d love to hear from you.
Here are two other stuffing recipes you might like:
This recipe was updated since originally posted March 2017.