You won’t miss the bread in this delicious, super healthy, Vegetable Quinoa Stuffing. It’s a great alternative to a traditional stuffing or any side dish. And ready in only 30 minutes.
I was looking for a stuffing recipe or side dish for a Passover seder, ready to buy some matzo farfel or matzo meal as the foundation. Suddenly I remembered that quinoa is now acceptable during Passover since it is not actually a grain (much to my surprise). A recent discovery for me.
So I decided to try a quinoa stuffing (or quinoa dressing as some call it). It turned out great! I loaded it with vegetables, including diced sweet potatoes, so it’s really healthy and filling enough to be served as a main dish for a vegetarian (like my daughter, the other kook).
I used the same seasonings used in most stuffing recipes – thyme and sage – and served it with sliced roast chicken and gravy. Delish! This stuffing would also be a perfect accompaniment to t sous vide turkey breast, herb stuffed salmon or grilled pork tenderloin.
I will definitely be making this quinoa stuffing again. There are many variations you could try – I’ve listed a few below.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use butternut squash instead of sweet potato
- Great additions
- 1-2 cups chopped mushrooms
- raisins, chopped dates or prunes
- diced fresh apple or mango – add just before serving
- Add some crunch with chopped canned water chestnuts
- For a non vegetarian version and smokey flavor, add diced hot dog or sausage while sauteing the vegetables
- Substitute the sage and thyme with 1-2 teaspoons curry powder.
- To save time chopping and dicing, pulse vegetables in the food processor a few times.
Make Ahead Quinoa Stuffing
- This recipe can be made ahead – or taken for potluck – and warmed in the oven in a covered dish (at 350F for about 10-15 minutes) or in the microwave. Leave out nuts if using and add them just before serving.
Vegetable Quinoa Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 2 red peppers, cored and diced (2 cups)
- 1 onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp EACH: salt, thyme, sage (or poultry seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup coursely chopped nuts (optional)
- MAKE QUINOA: Place rinsed quinoa, salt and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: While quinoa is cooking, in a large skillet, heat oil to medium high. Saute onion, sweet potatoes, celery, peppers for about 10-12 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add spinach, garlic and seasonings. Cook, stirring for another 2 minutes until spinach has wilted.
- FINISH STUFFING: Add quinoa and toss to combine well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add a bit more oil if needed. Sprinkle nuts if using and serve immediately.
Here are two other stuffing recipes you might like:
This recipe was updated since originally posted March 2017.