Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
I found a really really good recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies that I’m sharing along with a few tips. Soft centers with a slight toffee taste.
I can’t take any credit for these exceptional chocolate chip cookies except that I found them for you. They were created by Melissa Stadler of Modern Honey.
I’ve been eating them all week. I formed the dough into mounds and froze them, ready to bake as I need them (which is about 10 smaller size cookies at a time, every second night!). Melissa developed many different decadent recipes and claims this is her go-to and favorite recipe so I had to try it. Smart move.
Most chewy chocolate chip cookie recipes are pretty similar. This recipe has a few small tweaks with a big impact
- The butter is melted
- You use dark brown sugar instead of light. I didn’t have dark brown sugar so I added a tablespoon molasses which achieved that same rich toffee taste as the dark brown sugar.
- The sprinkling of sea salt – very popular now – also adds to the great overall taste.
- I also love that the dough is mixed by hand – no electric mixer to wash.
Tip: Chilling the dough is highly recommended to bring out the flavors and avoid the cookies from spreading on the pan. If you’re in a rush or desperate to eat them though, just skip that step.
My fave is eating these warm, fresh from the oven, with a big glass of cold milk – heaven!
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use half semisweet chocolate chips and half chocolate chunks. Or all chocolate chips. Or any combination you like.
- If you like the cookies crispier, bake them for the full 14 minutes.
- The dough can be well wrapped in parchment and foil, then frozen. It will also keep in the fridge for a day or two.
- Alternatively, form dough into cookie mounds or discs, lay out on pan, flash freeze on pan for 30 minutes, then transfer dough mounds to a ziploc bag or sealed container to use as needed. Bake at 325F for about 14 minutes from frozen.
Other chocolate chip recipes to check out
- chocolate chip toffee cookies (excellent!)
- lazy chocolate chip cookie bars
How to make the best chewy chocolate chip cookies
Rate this recipe here
Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown sugar (or 1 cup Light Brown sugar + 1 Tablespoon molasses)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips/chunks (combination of milk and semisweet chocolate as you like)
- FINISH: sprinkle of sea salt
- COMBINE AND MELT: In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugars. Remove from heat and stir until mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Let cool on stove or put in fridge to cool for 5 minutes.
- ADD LIQUID: Stir in egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- ADD DRY INGREDIENTS: Use a wooden spoon to fold in flour, salt and baking soda just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips/chunks - make sure mixture is cool first so chocolate doesn't melt - I use my hands to distribute chocolate chips evenly.
- CHILL DOUGH: Wrap dough in plastic to firm it up in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. To bring out the toffee flavor more, chill dough for 24-36 hours. (NOTE: cookies can be baked without chilling if you're in a rush, but they may spread more in the oven and flavor will not be as deep).
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- BAKE: Cut chilled dough into thick slices for easier handling. Form into cookie mounds of 1 1/2 to 2 inches and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. [At this point, the mounds can be frozen and put into ziploc bags to be baked as you need them]. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- COOL: Cool cookies for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or a plate.
- The dough can be well wrapped in parchment and foil, then frozen.
- Alternatively, form dough into cookie mounds, lay out on pan, flash freeze on pan for 30 minutes, then transfer dough mounds to a ziploc bag or sealed container to use as needed. Bake at 325F for about 14 minutes from frozen.
These are so good 🙂
Glad you liked them 🙂
These are delicious!
Glad you liked them!