These Endive Ricotta Appetizers are super light and easy to make. Beautiful contrasting colours, textures and flavours. And the variations are endless.
My friend Faygie recently served a version of these at a dinner party. She made two endive appetizers per person and I was secretly hoping someone wouldn’t eat theirs so I could have an extra. I knew for sure I was going to blog these little jewels. So pretty!
The endive has almost no taste which is why it’s a perfect vehicle for any toppings. It does, however, have an amazing crunch which contrasts nicely with the creamy smooth ricotta. When you add a blend of sweet and savory flavors, you get a perfect little bite. Well, two.
In 10 minutes, you have a simple little low calorie, multi-textured appetizer. I’ve made a few suggestions for variations below, but don’t let that limit you. Check around in your pantry and fridge for what you have. The endive and ricotta provide an ideal setup for big bold flavors, sweet-tangy ones and many others.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Drizzle on a balsamic reduction
- Leave out the honey
- Use any roasted nuts or seeds e.g. pepitas, pine nuts, crushed hazelnuts, etc.
- Instead of currants, use raisins or dried cranberries
- Use green onions instead of chives
- Try adding some heat with sriracha or chili flakes
- Sprinkle with orange zest
- If you can’t find endives, you can use lettuce cups
- Finely diced citrus fruits and goat cheese, drizzled with vinaigrette or honey
- Goat cheese or ricotta topped with olive Tepanade and sprinkled with chives
- Finely diced tomatoes and olives, sprinkled with lemon zest
- Diced roasted peppers, sprinkled with chives and Parmesan
- Roasted corn and peppers with a drizzle of lime, salt and honey
- Chopped shrimp salad with dill
Make Ahead Endive Appetizers
These apps keep in the fridge for a few hours. Or make the mixture ahead and prepare the endives, then assemble before serving.
Loaded Endive Ricotta Appetizers Recipe
- 2 endives
- 3/4 cup smooth ricotta cheese, approximately
- 1/4 cup dried currants (or dried cranberries or raisins)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted almonds
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced red pepper
- 1 tbsp minced fresh chives or green onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey (or to taste) - or drizzle of balsamic reduction
- pinch kosher salt and pepper
- Optional: 1/4 tsp sriracha
- PREPARE ENDIVES: Cut off ends and separate the leaves. Arrange 8-10 of the larger ones on a platter. Spread a dollop of ricotta on the bottom third of each endive leaf (just less than a tablespoon or as you like).
- MAKE TOPPING MIXTURE: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for topping mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- FINISH APPS: Place about 1/2-3/4 Tablespoon of mixture on top of ricotta on each endive leaf. If desired, drizzle balsamic reduction all over just before serving or sprinkle with additional chives or chopped parsley.
Adapted from myrecipes.
Here are a couple of other appetizers you might like: