Nutritious make-ahead breakfast burritos are perfect for new parents or a meal on-the-go. Caramelized onions add amazing flavor to scrambled eggs and other fillings such as sausage, sauteed mushrooms, beans and cheese. Grab one from the freezer and microwave for 60-90 seconds for a complete super quick breakfast. Just add coffee.
Kook Jenna and her husband just had a baby and I wanted to help out by packing their freezer with some homemade goodies that her husband could just heat up. These breakfast burritos were a hit. I’ve made them 3 times in the last month for them. Jenna’s husband keeps telling me he loves them. I make his with sausage. Jenna’s are vegetarian with mushrooms and beans. She loves hers with Gruyere cheese. Anything for you ‘mom’.
I decided to amp up the flavor with some soft, sweet caramelized onions. Really good, but they do take a bit more time to make. If you want skip the onions (or just saute them until translucent), you can cut the whole process time in half.
Tailor To Your Taste
- I use breakfast sausage – I BBQ them for a few minutes, then cut them up. Or you can remove the meat from the casing and fry them. Alternatively, use any sausage, cooked hotdog, peameal bacon, ham or or bacon you like.
- Alternative fillings: sauteed mushrooms, cooked peppers, beans, cooked potatoes or anything else you like that will freeze well.
- Add fresh or dried herbs.
- Serve with salsa, salsa mixed with sour cream, taco sauce or hot sauce.
- Omit the caramelized onions or substitute them with quick fried onions.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- See recipe for how to freeze and reheat.
- If freezing, cool the filling before wrapping to avoid a soggy burrito.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds before filling to make the tortillas easier to fold.
- I reheat the burritos in the microwave from the freezer but you can also heat them in the oven at 350F for about 12-15 minutes.
- The amounts of ingredients used in the recipe are just guidelines. If you like more eggs, for example, use more.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos with Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 16 large flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 2 -3 cups cheddar or gruyere cheese, shredded
For caramelized onions
- 2 medium onions (or 1 very large)
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- pinch sugar
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Additional optional fillings
- 1 cup refried beans (from can) or black pinto beans, rinsed
- 12 breakfast sausage links, cooked and cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 8 oz mushrooms, sauteed with butter, thyme, salt and garlic
- MAKE CARAMELIZED ONIONS: Slice onions thinly. Heat large pan to medium high. Add oil. Add onions and stir for 5-6 minutes. Add salt to taste and a pinch of sugar (which will speed up cararmelization process). Lower heat to medium or medium low. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion are browned and caramelized. Let cool. Onions can be made several days ahead.
- MAKE EGGS: Crack eggs into a bowl. Add milk. Whisk together. Heat pan to medium high. Add eggs. Let set for a minute. Stir. LOWER heat to medium low. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook eggs slowly, stirring (and breaking into pieces) occasionally until eggs are set the way you like them (moister or drier). Let cool.
- ASSEMBLE: Mix together the fillings you are using except for cheese and refried beans (e.g. eggs, onions, mushrooms, sausages, pinto beans). Place 2 tortillas at a time on a cutting board. If using refried beans, spread 1-2 teaspoons on lower third of tortillas. Top with about 1/3 cup of filling mixture on each, then with about 1/8-1/4 cup of shredded cheese on each. For each burrito, fold in two sides, then roll up tightly, placing burrito seam side down. Repeat for rest of tortillas.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap each tortilla in plastic or foil, lay on a pan and freeze in a single layer for an hour or more. Place frozen tortillas in 2 large ziploc bags. Label bags with date. Can be frozen up to 3 months. TO REHEAT: Remove wrapping, place on plate and heat on High for 1-2 minutes. If thawed, microwave for only 45 seconds or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa, salsa mixed with sour cream, hot sauce or taco sauce if desired.
Another make ahead breakfast dish you might like:
Make-Ahead Apple and Pear French Toast get the recipe