For a colorful side dish of sauteed peppers, just saute peppers, whisk together a simple caper vinaigrette and toss together. Voila!
If you’re looking for something to “pop” on the plate with gorgeous visual appeal, you might want to try this simple side. I use it as a vegetarian side for chicken, meat or fish, but you can always toss in some sausage, quinoa or tofu – and even a few other veggies like asparagus – and make it a complete meal. If you’re doing this, just double the vinaigrette.
I only used red and orange peppers for the pictures. Adding yellow or green peppers, though, would make it even more vibrant. This sauteed peppers dish is so simple and quick to make (12 minutes), there is not much else to say. Well, maybe one thing. It’s not just about the looks. It tastes good too.
- Buy a jar of roasted red peppers. Add the caper vinaigrette.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Char whole red peppers on the BBQ. Peel off the blackened skin. Slice and seed them. Add the caper vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil instead of parsley.
- Add other veggies, sausages, quinoa or rice to make a more substantial main dish.
Make Ahead Sauteed Peppers
- Complete the dish and warm on the stove for a few minutes or in the microwave for 40-50 seconds.
Sauteed Peppers with Caper Vinaigrette Recipe
- 3 peppers (any colour), seeded, ribs removed and sliced thinly (1/4 inch)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients except the capers. Then add capers. Set aside.
- SAUTE PEPPERS: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-high. Add peppers and saute for 4-5 minutes until tender-crisp. Add minced garlic and continue to cook for a minute. Add vinaigrette to skillet and toss. Adjust seasonings as needed. Spoon into a serving bowl. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
Other quick and easy vegetarian side dishes you might like: