This is a crowd-pleasing, super moist carrot and pineapple cake packed with extra flavour from walnuts, coconut and a classic cream cheese icing. And the whole cake is mixed with a wooden spoon!
I got this recipe a long time ago from a colleague in Montreal. Although she was a dietitian and this cake has a lot of healthy ingredients, it’s not exactly low cal (oh well). Nevertheless, it’s a delicious carrot pineapple cake and you can skip the cream cheese icing if you want (it’s great without it too). And, for what it’s worth, I reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup and the oil by 1/4 cup in the recipe below.
I checked a bunch of other highly rated carrot pineapple cake recipes on the internet (as usual) – all very similar. The closest one I found is from allrecipes. I loved that I didn’t have to drag out any equipment to make this cake. I just mixed everything together with a spoon. I did, however, use my food processor to make the icing in 2 minutes – love that.
If you love carrot cake, you’ll love this one. The pineapple adds a touch of pineapple flavour (not hugely noticeable) and enhances the moistness.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Shred an apple with the carrots and add it to the batter. Even more healthiness!
- Add a bit more allspice or a pinch of ground cloves if you like those spices.
- Leave out the walnuts.
- Instead of cream cheese icing, serve it plain or with an orange glaze.
- Instead of using a a flat 13 x 9 inch pan, you can use two 8 x 8 inch pans and make a double layer cake. Or, cut the 13 x 9 inch cake in half.
- Definitely. It will keep well, covered, for a couple of days. Or even better, freeze it.
- You can buy pre-shredded carrots, but they tend to be drier, so if you have the time, use fresh carrots and shred them.
- Leave out the icing.
Other delicious cakes you might like:
Best Banana Cake With Chocolate Icing get the recipe
Apple Cake with Caramel-Bourbon Sauce get the recipe