If you buy pre-spiralized butternut squash noodles, this side dish is beyond simple! Stir fry with butter, Balsamic, soy and garlic to make a delicious sauce.
I recently discovered pre-spiralized butternut squash in my local grocery store. Yes, it was more expensive, but no peeling and spiralizing, so definitely worth it for me from time to time. Without the extra step of spiralizing, this dish literally takes 10 minutes from start to finish.
My husband loves this side which is a big plus because he can certainly benefit from less calories. This dish is like “noodles” but without the carbs – very low calorie. In fact, the first time I served it to him while playing xbox with his friends from England, he turned off the microphone for a second and shouted down to me in the kitchen “are there any more of these noodles”?
Butternut squash on its own is very bland. The balsamic butter sauce adds great flavor and the spinach adds great additional nutrients and beautiful color. So…fast, easy, healthy, delicious, pretty.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Add some herbs like thyme or chives,
- Try garnishing the dish with chopped toasted walnuts for crunch
- If you like a touch of sweetness, add a pinch of sugar or maple syrup.
Shortcut for Butternut Squash Noodles
- Buy butternut squash already spiralized. (If not available, you can spiralize your own. The time on the recipe does not include spiralizing)
Butternut Squash Noodles Stir Fry
- 4 cup spiralized butternut squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 cup fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon good Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce (light or low sodium is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper (or to taste)
- OPTIONAL: pinch sugar or maple syrup; 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or chives
- MAKE THE DISH: In a medium skillet or wok, heat all the sauce ingredients on medium-high for a minute until fragrant. Add the spiralized squash and stir fry, tossing frequently, for about 3 minutes just until tender but not too soft it should still have a bite). Add chopped spinach and mix for another 30-60 seconds until wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
Other vegetarian light side dishes you might like:
Roasted cauliflower with orange-balsamic drizzle get the recipe
Spaghetti Squash With Roasted Vegetables get the recipe