Question: How do you make easy chocolate fudge? Better question: How do you make creamy, melt-in-your mouth, no-fail chocolate fudge with 3 ingredients, 3 steps in 3 minutes? Read on…
Getting straight to the point, the answer is a microwave and sweetened condensed milk. This method avoids the pitfalls of cooking it too long, the fudge not setting properly and a grainy texture.
You’d be hard pressed to find a foolproof chocolate fudge recipe that is this easy, uses only a few ingredients and tastes this good. This 3 minute fudge is luscious and soft, but firm enough to cut into squares.
And, as always, there are lots of variations to tweak it to your tastes. How about a dark chocolate fudge with roasted nuts? Or a chocolate peanut butter fudge? Or mint chocolate fudge?
Here’s the 3-step process for microwave fudge in a nutshell:
- Combine sweetened condensed milk with chocolate and microwave until smooth and creamy;
- Add vanilla extract
- Pour chocolate mixture in the pan and chill for an hour or more. That’s it.
If you’re on a roll and want to try another super quick and easy chocolate dessert recipe, check out our yummy microwave brownie recipe in 8 minutes.
Tips for Success
Use the best chocolate you can find
- The better the quality, the richer tasting the fudge. Ghiradelli and Lindt (Swiss) are two good ones. The Belgian Godiva is another option. No worries though – pure chocolate chips work well too. Or you can use a combination of chocolate chips and chocolate from a bar.
- Use the full amount of chocolate in the recipe or the fudge may not set as well.
Line your pan for easy finish
- Line the pan with parchment with ‘handles’ sticking out over the sides of the pan. This will make it easy to lift out for cutting.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use any combination of chocolate – milk, dark or semi-sweet. Even a chocolate bar with fruit and nuts is fine.
- You can substitute some of the chocolate with other flavors like peanut butter chips, cinnamon chips, coffee chips, etc.
Sweetened condensed milk – based on your dietary needs
- The canned version is made with concentrated milk, sugar and lactose. Make your own sweetened condensed milk from scratch if you prefer. The recipe allows you to use dairy-free milk for a dairy free option. Or a sweetener for a sugar-free option. It lasts for a week in the fridge or 2 months in the freezer.
- You can also buy vegan sweetened condensed milk on Amazon for a vegan version – or make it yourself. Or a fat free sweetened condensed milk.
- Try other flavorings such as orange, almond or mint extract (instead of vanilla).
Add-ins e.g. 1/2 cup/80g
- dried cranberries
- toasted coconut
- any type of roasted nuts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 box junior mints (a reader comment from another recipe!)
- Make the chocolate fudge recipe several days ahead if you like, storing it in a sealed container or bag. No need to refrigerate. It can also be frozen for several months.
Other easy treats to make
- microwave brownie recipe (in 8 minutes)
- cinnamon puff pastry rolls
- puff pastry apple tart
- lime glazed easy shortbread cookies (30 min)
- crispy buttery lace cookies (30 min)
- chocolate rice crispy treats
- strawberries in white chocolate (for beginners)
Looking for more ideas? Check out our full list of sweets and treats (30 minutes or less)
How to make easy chocolate fudge
Easy Chocolate Fudge (3 minutes)
- 12 ounce good quality chocolate, roughly chopped Note 1 (or 2 cups pure chocolate chips)
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, Note 2 about 1 1/4 cups, 300-397g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: 1/2-1 cup roasted nuts, coconut, raisins, peanut butter and/or dried cranberries; Pinch of sea salt (I highly recommend the sea salt!)
- PREPARE THE PAN: Spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with oil, especially the sides. Line it with a strip of parchment paper that covers the bottom of the pan and hangs over two opposite edges. This will allow you to easily lift out the fudge once firm.
- MAKE THE FUDGE: Place chocolate and sweetened condensed milk in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave another 30 seconds. Stir. If chocolate is still not fully melted, microwave another 30 seconds. When smooth, stir in vanilla (and sea salt, nuts and/or raisins if using). Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Chill in fridge for at least an hour.
- CUT AND SERVE: Remove fudge from pan by lifting out side flaps of parchment. Cut into squares. (hide some for yourself for later!). Store in an airtight container. Refrigeration is not necessary. Can be frozen.
- Chocolate - use any combination of chocolate - milk, dark or semi-sweet. Lindt and Ghiradelli are high quality brands. Godiva is another option. Pure chocolate chips are fine too (including other flavors such as peanut, coffee, cinnamon etc).
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk
- Note that Canadian cans are slightly smaller than US cans (300 vs 390g), but fine to use in this recipe - no need to use extra.
- Here's a recipe to make your own sweetened condensed milk from scratch if you prefer including a dairy free or sugar-free option option.
- You can also buy vegan sweetened condensed milk on Amazon for a vegan version - or make it yourself. Or a fat free sweetened condensed milk.
- Make Ahead: Make this fudge several days ahead if you like, storing it in a sealed container or bag. No need to refrigerate. It can also be frozen for several months.
This chocolate fudge recipe is adapted from Chocolate Chocolate and More and now updated from Feb 2017.