Chocolate Toffee Bars are a twist on the popular toffee Graham cracker bars. Buttery and crunchy with chocolate, nuts, cranberries and salt. Crave-worthy!
I’m not kidding. These chocolate toffee bars are sitting in my freezer right now and I’m trying my hardest not to go down and get one. Or three. They are definitely worth the calories.
I make some version of these toffee bars every year before the holidays. They keep for a long time in the freezer and I like to have a few things to pull out when I need them. (In our family, we rarely serve just one dessert). So it’s a great make-ahead recipe and perfect for gift giving.
There are only four core ingredients – Graham crackers, butter, brown sugar and chocolate. I recently came across a similar recipe in the Food & Drink magazine (love their food pics) and decided to use their idea of a two-chocolate drizzle. I used Graham crackers instead of soda crackers and added dried cranberries to help balance the sweetness. But, honestly, the basic recipe is fool-proof delicious. Any tweaks are just a bonus.
I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like these bars. And they take less than 30 minutes to make, not including cooling time. Enjoy!
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use whatever toasted chopped nuts you like – hazelnut, almonds, pecans, pistachios. I used macadamia in the pictures.
- Try raisins or other dried fruit instead of dried cranberries. Or leave out altogether.
- Substitute soda crackers for the Graham crackers. Or use Matzo for a Passover version. See our Famous Almond Caramel Crunch.
Make Ahead Chocolate Toffee Bars
- The recipe can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container or ziploc bags. It freezes well for up to to 3 months. The bars are best served at room temperature (if you have the patience to let them thaw).
Chocolate Toffee Bars Recipe
- Graham crackers (about 30 doubles for a larger 17 x 11 pan; less for smaller ones)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup toasted macadamia nuts (or chopped toasted hazelnuts, almonds, pecans)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet, dark or milk)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or disks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 tsp finishing salt (like Maldon)
- Heat oven to 375F
- PREPARE BASE: Line a 10 x 15 inch pan with parchment papers. Lay out Graham crackers in a single layer to cover the whole pan. NOTE: You can use a larger pan like I did, but the toffee layer will be thinner - still great!
- MAKE TOFFEE COATING: In a medium pot, heat butter and brown sugar to medium high. Stir until melted and allow it to come to a boil. Lower heat to medium and boil for 3 minutes undisturbed. Pour over graham crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- ADD NUTS AND BAKE: Sprinkle nuts evenly over the toffee layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven.
- ADD GARNISHES: Microwave chocolate and white chocolate chips in two separate small bowls for 2 minutes on medium. Stir until smooth. Using a fork, splatter/drizzle each over the graham toffee bars. Sprinkle on cranberries if using, pressing with fingers to make them stick. Sprinkle lightly with sea or finishing salt.
- SET AND BREAK INTO PIECES: Let bars set in pan for an hour to cool. Or put in freezer for 20-30 minutes. Break into pieces with your hands. Serve at room temperature.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it in the recipe above (using the stars above “rate this recipe”) and leave a comment if you like below. We love the hear what you thought of it.
Here are a few other delicious treats you might enjoy: