Loaded with chocolate, nuts and sweet-tangy cranberries, these Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats are rich, crunchy, chewy, nutty, chocolate-y deliciousness.
My grandmother (Jenna’s great grandmother) made chocolate rice crispy treats every holiday since I was a little girl. My mother, my two sisters and I followed the tradition, meaning they continue to show up at one or two family events every year.
For the holidays, I tweak them by adding cranberries which adds a sweet tart vibe. The only change from the original is the cranberries. Our original recipe uses raisins. These no-bake treats only take 10-15 minutes to make, then about 45 minutes to chill.
I admit I haven’t made these in a while and forgot how scrumptious they are. The old rice crispy treats we all grew up on – butter, marshmallows and rice crispies – certainly had their hay day. But I think – and I know I am biased – these are way better.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use raisins instead of cranberries (as per our original recipe)
- Add toasted coconut.
- Try different nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia or pistachios.
Make Ahead Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- The rice crispy squares freeze perfectly so you can make several months ahead, freeze them in a ziploc bag or directly in the pan, then serve them as needed.
Chocolate Cranberry Rice Crispy Squares Recipe
- 1 stick butter (1/4 pound or 8 tbsp)
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate (2 Bakers squares or 6 tablespoons chocolate chips)
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate (1 Bakers square or 3 tablespoons chocolate chips)
- 1 regular package marshmallows, 250g (about 36)
- 2 1/2 cup rice crispy cereal
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds or pecans)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- a couple of drops almond extract (optional)
- PREPARE PAN: Line an 8 x 8 square pan lined with parchment paper (or foil) for easy clean up
- MAKE RICE CRISPY SQUARES: In a medium-large saucepan, melt the butter and chocolates over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat. dd rice crispies, nuts, cranberries (or raisins), vanilla and almond extract (if using). Stir to coat with the chocolate-marshmallow mixture. Fold into an Pat down to even it out (use wet hands).
- CHILL: Refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from pan and cut into 20-40 squares. May be frozen. Thaw before eating.