This spicy Cheesy Tomato Spinach Olive Pasta is a quick and easy vegetarian meal. Melty cheese, tangy olives and healthy spinach. A meal in a skillet.
Have only 20 minutes or so to put dinner on the table? Cutting back on meat meals for the week? No problem. This pasta recipe fits the bill. It has great flavour combined with the comfort food factor, namely melted cheesy pasta. I upgrade the health profile with extra tomatoes, spinach and high-fibre pasta.The briny olives and chili flakes give it a nice kick, but feel free to leave one or both out if you’re not a fan.
I use grated Mozzarella cheese from a package. Needless to say, fresh small mozzarella balls (bocconcini) would be even better. Apart from boiling the pasta, this whole dish is prepared on the stove in one skillet in about 20 minutes total, assuming you have a homemade or bottled prepared tomato sauce on hand. Hard to beat that for a quick homemade meal.
And don’t worry about leftovers if you have any. The pasta heats up beautifully in the microwave over the next few days.
- Use another kind of pasta such as penne.
- Add cooked sausage or chicken chunks for a bulkier meat meal.
- Leave out the olives.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil.
- Leave out the extra step of sauteeing the tomatoes if you want (I like the extra chunkiness in the sauce so I add them).
- Use garlic from the jar or frozen cubes.
Serve with a nice hot crusty bread, garlic bread or a simple salad.
Here are 6 other easy 30-minute pasta meals you might like: