Grilled Vegetable Pasta with Wine Sauce is a versatile, healthy summer weeknight meal. Grill the vegetables you have on hand and add shrimp or tofu if you want to stretch it further. Delicious!
If you’re looking for a meatless meal this summer, this is a great one. It’s rich and substantial and comes together in under 30 minutes. For the vegetables, I use red onions, red pepper, orange pepper, mushrooms and asparagus (when I have them) because I love the colors together. And of course I like those vegetables. Feel free, though, to add or substitute zucchini, eggplant or any other veggie that will grill nicely in about 10 minutes.
Once again, I used my handy grill basket which makes grilling chopped veggies a breeze. If you don’t have one, you can cut your vegetables into larger pieces, grill them and chop them up after. Either way will work fine.
I used a white wine sauce recipe from Epicurious in this grilled vegetable pasta dish which is quick and easy. The butter and Parmesan make it pretty rich, but you can cut those down if you like or eliminate the Parmesan in the dish and let people add their own.
I love to serve this dish with sauteed shrimp on top (see picture below), Roasted Salmon Stuffed With Herbs or with warm crusty bread and a simple green side salad.
Tailor To Your Taste
- use vegetables of your choice
- add some rinsed capers
- garnish with chopped chives
- omit the Parmesan cheese
- use a short pasta like fusilli or pene
Make Ahead Grilled Vegetable Pasta
You can prepare the grilled vegetables ahead of time and warm them for a minute in the microwave before adding them to the final dish. You can also make the wine sauce ahead and then reheat to a boil, turn off the heat and add Parmesan (if using), parsley and grilled veggies. I suggest making the the pasta right before serving.
Grilled Vegetable Pasta with Wine Sauce Recipe
- 6 cups vegetables, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (any combination of red/orange peppers, mushrooms, red/white onion, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 250 gram spaghettini, vermicelli, capellini or spaghetti (about 10 oz.)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (fairly spicy)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 tbsp butter (or 3 if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Optional: 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat grill to Medium-high to High (about 450-500F). Spray grill basket with oil.
- GRILL VEGETABLES: Place chopped vegetables in grill basket. Drizzle with oil (add a touch extra if needed) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Place basket directly on grill for 9-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly charred and tender the way you like them. Set aside.
- BOIL PASTA: Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain. TIP: Try to time this to be ready when sauce is ready. If not, set aside and keep warm.
- MAKE SAUCE: While pasta is boiling and veggies are grilling, heat oil on medium-high In saucepan or skillet. Add garlic and chili flakes and stir for a minute. Add wine, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. dd butter and stir just until melted. Turn off heat.
- ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Add pasta and toss. Add Parmesan cheese if using (reserving a little for passing if desired), parsley and grilled vegetables. Toss all together. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.
Here’s another great summer pasta dish you might like: