Looking for a healthier but equally delicious version of Mac and Cheese? Veggie Quinoa-roni and Cheese Casserole is it! A perfect vegetarian weeknight meal or side dish.
Macaroni and Cheese lovers will definitely not be disappointed with this dish. It has that same comfort food feeling – creamy, yummy and satisfying. And, it’s super healthy with lots of veggies and of course quinoa – an excellent source of protein, fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. Not bad at all.
I made this recipe a few times when creating it to get the balance of ingredients and textures just right. The recipe serves 2-3 as a main dish, with a nice salad on the side or 4-6 as a side dish with chicken or fish. It can be doubled or tripled for a larger family event, potluck, brunch or buffet. Needless to say, there are lots of tweaks or adaptations you can try.
- Use pre-shredded cheese in a package.
- Use 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked quinoa.
- Spread 1/2 cup or more grated cheese on top of the casserole before baking instead of using a breadcrumb topping.
- Use different veggies such as chopped broccoli florets (microwaved for 2 minutes), mushrooms and zucchini (but make sure they are well sauteed so that they don’t make the casserole watery).
- Use frozen spinach that is thawed and well drained (about 1/3 to 1/2 a 10-ounce package).
- Use a cheese topping instead of breadcrumbs.
- Vary the cheeses. I use a combination of gruyere and cheddar (white or orange).
- Definitely. You can make the whole casserole (without baking) ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge for a day or two. Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes when ready to use.
Other Quinoa dishes you might like: